Discuss Electric Shower & Consumer Unit within my flat in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Southsider

New to this forum and looking for some advice.

My shower (Gainsborough 10.5kW SCL) is no longer working. I think its the shower engine thats packed up. The shower has probably only been installed in the last 2 years.

I am looking to install a new shower however I am a bit concerned about the electrical installation. The board is made by Wylex and has 6 ways - 1no 5 Amp, 2no 15 Amp, and 3no. 30 Amp. On one of the 30 Amp ways instead of a breaker there is a black cover plate fitted over the front and badged 30 Amp.

From this 30 Amp circuit a cable is taken from the consumer unit to a double pole fused isolator. The isolater is within the same enclosure/cupboard as the consumer unit. From the double pole fuse isolater the twin & earth cable feeds the shower (room adjacent to electrical cupboard).

First thing I want to know is that if I install a new shower (9 kW Mira Sport) what is the minimum amount of work needed? Should the fuse be upgraded to 45 A? Consumer unit states max 60 A load.

Also whats the easiest way to check I have the correct size of cable? Get a short length of 10mm twin & earth and check against the cable installed?

Any advice appreciated as I have a very basic electrical knowledge but would like to get a rough idea of the work required before I get quotes to carry out the work.

Here's a pic of my consumer unit and the double pole fused switch.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/7373/dscf1038zy8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi matey, welcome to the forum.

firstly are you in rented accomodation or is it your own property? if its rented then get your landlord to sort it out!

if its your own property then as your going to be carrying out work on this circuit then it should be rcd protected. i could be wrong as well but im led to beleive that there should be a suitable pull switch or the like, within the bathroom aswell (someone will confirm whether im wrong or right on this!)

imo, if someone comes to quote for the work then:
1, they will check your main earth bonding to your gas and water or oil services

2, they will possibly either a)upgrade the isolator switch to a rcd protected outlet or b)recommend upgrading your fuse board and feeding the shower from this

3, if they discover that the cable supplying the shower is 6mm they may upgrade this 10mm (i would personally), they may also say that you should have access to electrical switch for the shower within the bathroom

id be expecting to pay at least £150 for the works, and possibly alot more if your main earths need wiring as well as possibly a new fuse board.

hope this helps in anyway.

rich

firstly are you in rented accomodation or is it your own property? if its rented then get your landlord to sort it out!

if its your own property then as your going to be carrying out work on this circuit then it should be rcd protected. i could be wrong as well but im led to beleive that there should be a suitable pull switch or the like, within the bathroom aswell (someone will confirm whether im wrong or right on this!)

1, they will check your main earth bonding to your gas and water or oil services

2, they will possibly either a)upgrade the isolator switch to a rcd protected outlet or b)recommend upgrading your fuse board and feeding the shower from this

3, if they discover that the cable supplying the shower is 6mm they may upgrade this 10mm (i would personally), they may also say that you should have access to electrical switch for the shower within the bathroom

id be expecting to pay at least £150 for the works, and possibly alot more if your main earths need wiring as well as possibly a new fuse board.

rich

Rich, "main earths"? surely you mean main protective bonding:p

(sorry to be pedantic, but i spend all day drumming this into students!)

yeah!! sorry shakey lol!

i didnt wanna talk to scientific to this gentleman! ill have to get me self all lingoed up, cos i think im gonna need me 17th course asap!! (bet you knew that was coming!)

rich

got to get the definitions right ,eh shakey
its fundamental to understand there is a difference between earthing and bonding

got to get the definitions right ,eh shakey
its fundamental to understand there is a difference between earthing and bonding

defintely Wayne

someone talking about 'earth bonding' (or similar) will fire my engines up quicker than someone telling me you cant be an electrician without NVQ3.................:p

defintely Wayne

someone talking about 'earth bonding' (or similar) will fire my engines up quicker than someone telling me you cant be an electrician without NVQ3.................:p

sorry guys! lol, i will have to learn to think before i type! to be honest tho i was a bit nervous about posting on this thread just incase i was way out with everything else!

rich

defintely Wayne

sorry guys! lol, i will have to learn to think before i type! to be honest tho i was a bit nervous about posting on this thread just incase i was way out with everything else!

rich

hey Rich, i would rather someone chip in and use wrong terminolgy than not chip in at all

i will PM you tommorow with those 17th edtion dates;)

rich

Cheers mate.

Its my own property.

Is there somewhere that would list online local electricians in my area that would carry the correct qualifications to carry out the works?

no worries matey,

you could post your area in this thread and someone qualified/near you could sort you out, or you could try yell.com, niceic have register of electricians, as do (i think!) Napit etc
Just tap a few relevant keys in google and see what happens

good luck

Reply to Electric Shower & Consumer Unit within my flat in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock