Discuss Electric shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

egginyourface

Hello all
Went to a call out today where shower would heat water fine on medium setting but once it was set to higher temp it would cut out. Mcb remains in and supply still present. Is there some sort of cut out inside shower if the water pressure is low?

First time I've seen such A fault

Had exactly the same at my house a while ago. Was told by my plumber that most showers have a thermal cut out built in so if the water pressure is too low or there is no water at all, it protects the element from damage by cutting the supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
needs a certain amount of water flow to stay made. somebody flushes the bog. shower goes cold.

Probably the element inside is furred up and when set to full temperature the element overheats because the heat does not go into the water and the thermal trip trips.
The flow rate would not change on changing the temperature, but if the flow is low then the element may still overheat because the water is not passing it fast enough to cool it, but I would expect this to cut out because of low flow at any temperature.

I get called out to these every summer. Once the incomming water supply to the property heats up by a few degrees as the ground gets warmer (only mid to late summer after a couple of hot weeks) then the shower tries to raise the water temp by the same amount that it would with the colder supply. (as no-one bothers to try and adjust the controls) This then operates the overheat cutout to keep the user safe. If the water pressure cannot be increased to compensate then just use half power and adjust for temp with the flow rate dial.
You answered your own question without knowing it really, 'would heat water fine on medium setting' If it heats it fine then why use full power?
Once the incomming water cools again in sept then turn it back to full heat.
Years ago before the days of variable pattern handsets, (in my dads day) showers were supplied with summer and winter rings for the handset to vary the water flow in order to compensate for the summer/winter change in incomming water temp.
Hope this helps, it's explaining to the customer that there is nothing wrong with their shower yet they stiill owe you for a call out that's the tricky part, tell them it's better than an expensive flow valve or new shower!

Last edited:
Most modern shower units have two or more heating elements in the heater tank, one for each heat range of the shower. It is common for the highest power heating element to fail first as it tends to be used most often, particularly in the winter months. The condition of the elements can be assessed with continuity and insulation resistance tests. Remember to disconnect the control circuitry from the heater elements before testing to prevent damage to sensitive electronic components and/or misleading results.

Hi, in it's failed state did you test the solenoids resistance? A faulty solenoid would cause problems with low flow which if faulty would shut off the water going through the shower, think a shower solenoid resistance should be above 3ohms. Worth a quick try.

All the above could cause your 'fault' or it could just be that on full power the element will heat the water up to above the temperature limit of the safety cutout. If a satisfactory shower temperature and flow rate is achieved with half power I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

i have been here reading abot these before , if it worked fine before then change the shower.. there is a few things to check i.e solinoid valve and we cirular things on top of eleements and after that its cheaper to change like for like and no plumber involved

Reply to Electric shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock