Discuss Electric underfloor heating in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
Not necessarily electrical but looking for some advise for my own house.

I am currently doing up my en-suite at home and hoping to have a wet room with walk in shower.

I don't want a shower tray so looking to have a sunken shower floor and the same tiling for the whole bathroom floor. I am a bit confused about the various levels and hope someone can help me.

I have 22mm tung and groove chip board flooring which I'm going to install 10mm insulation on top of then the electric matting and then tiles on top of this.

The shower tray doesn't have the electric matting but the tray is either 20mm 0r 30mm thickness and apparently the floorboard gets cut up and the tray sits on the joist.

so I'm struggling with getting the depths the same so the tiles are the same height

any tips or ideas am i going about this the wrong way

thanks

think your query relates more to tilers/flooring forums than here.

well the solution is often to raise the floor outside the sunken shower tray sitting on joists to the higher height, its easy to add than touch the joists and try to raise the shower tray later on. You could cover the existing chip board tongue and groove with ply board, its available in various thicknesses, this will give you the difference to make it the desired height. on top the plyboard you can add your insulation and heated floor kit. Just make sure you screw it down well and treat it with the right sealer to waterproof it before adding the insulation.

If the tray waste is the wet floor drain,then the tray would be at the lower level,sat on the joists,which if not purpose laid,will want leaving as much as possible.
Tank as much as you can,and to the waste,with NO reliance at all,on tiling/grout/sealant,to prevent water migrating through.

Wet rooms are ideal,if you are infirm...or showing off ;)

...The rest of us are happy with tin bath and a roaring fire :)

Reply to Electric underfloor heating in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net