Discuss Electrical Accidents that 'helped' change the wiring regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
A post on a thread by @pc1966 got me pondering (post mentioned the Emma Shaw case), what other electrical accidents, fatalities, near misses that given rise to the regulations changing?

TL;DR
Accidents they changed the regs
I don't think that helped bring about any change in the regulations.

It helped bring about the whole part P debacle and led to the rise in short course domestic installers

I think the very first regs came out because of various fires in large towns due to this new fangled electricity not being controlled properly.

Don‘t think it did.

Urban Myth
And the urban myth creates another IMO
Urban Myth said:
Since they have been introduced Part P has been shown to save many lives and in a recent consultation looking to reduce red tape it was recommended that Part P be retained. The report said:

"From the evidence we have received, we are satisfied that Part P has been successful in driving up standards and in reducing the number of electrical faults,”

It is clear from the above that Part P is here to stay and that it was no knee jerk reaction but a carefully planned and required step to help save lives and reduce electrical faults. If it had been in place before Mrs Wherry’s kitchen was installed then it is quite likely it could have prevented the tragic accident.

These days all installer need to be Part P registered. In order to register on a Part P Scheme installers must ensure they are up to speed with the Part P building regs and 17th edition wiring regs. Most will attend Part course and 17th edition training in order to prove competence in these areas.
So was it Part P or the introduction of the 17th edition RCD everything regs that saved many lives, does anybody log the number of RCD trips that potentially save a life
To say that Part P has driven up standards and reduced the number of electrical faults is a laughable statement when hot on the heels of Part P the 17th edition was published. I would hazard a guess that there have been more CU's replaced since the introduction of the 17th edition than under any of the preceding edition of the regs which has no doubt had a bigger effect on safety than Part P ever has
The registering of work under Part P is only of interest to one section of the government machine that is HMRC

part pee has actually lowered standards if anything. OK, with good intent, it was designed to stop the cowboy bodgers which it has done to some degree, but then allowed any tom,dick and harry, with a few weeks basic training, loose to practice improving their pathetic skills on an unsuspecting public, just by joining a scam, said scams laughing all the way to the bank with funds from the thousands of extra members.

part pee has actually lowered standards if anything. OK, with good intent, it was designed to stop the cowboy bodgers which it has done to some degree, but then allowed any tom,dick and harry, with a few weeks basic training, loose to practice improving their pathetic skills on an unsuspecting public, just by joining a scam, said scams laughing all the way to the bank with funds from the thousands of extra members.
I kinda agree, but how could we improve on that. Gas Safe seems to have similar problems from what I've read?

Metal cable supports. Two firefighters died when trapped by fallen cables and in the Rule 43 letter issued under the Coroner’s Rules it was recommend and became a regulation.

Reply to Electrical Accidents that 'helped' change the wiring regulations? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net