Discuss Electrical Inspections , who can and who cannot? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mr smith

Anyone settle this argument..
Any competent person can inspect and test and issue certs.
Having the 2391 , full apprenticeship and NVQ's.
You don't have to be in the competent schemes.

Thoughts???

Any competent person can Inspect and Test (qualifications are not required).
Building Regulations refer to construction, not surveying, inspecting or testing.
So no, being a member of a CPS is not required.

Competence refers to all electrical work - which testing is a part of.
look in definitions in BS 7671 under Instructed Persons and see note 2.

Thanks lads.
I read on here that you also needed to be part of the competent persons scheme but I cannot find anywhere that says that you do.

Thanks lads.
I read on here that you also needed to be part of the competent persons scheme but I cannot find anywhere that says that you do.
that is because you don't., unless the customer specifies it as a requirement of the contract.

Thanks lads.
Some organisations, will only accept Reports from people registered with a scheme.
I once made a Report for someone who wanted to lease their property to a Local Council.
They would not accept my report because I was not registered with the NICEIC.
I spoke to them on the phone, and they amended it to being registered with any of the organisations approved by the government to run Part P schemes.
So rather than my 9 page EICR, they accepted a Visual Report from someone registered with the NICEIC for Part P.

Some organisations, will only accept Reports from people registered with a scheme.
I once made a Report for someone who wanted to lease their property to a Local Council.
I spoke to them on the phone, and they amended it to being registered with any of the organisations approved by the government to run Part P schemes.
So rather than my 9 page EICR, they accepted a Visual Report from someone registered with the NICEIC for Part P.
it's bloody daft, innit. a Electrical Trainee who's paid into the scam/s gets the work over an apprentice trained skilled electrician who has forgotten more than he's learnt.

You need to be part of a competent persons scheme if you wish to notify to building control your own work.
There are other routes , but self certification is the most viable if you are in domestic installation work.
Inspection and Testing is not installation work and is not notifiable.
If you have the green 17th edition of BS 7671 it defines a competent person for you.

Going back to when it all first started I seem to remember John Prescott outlawing that after a hue and cry about it.
I must admit I have had the same experience as you.

Going back to when it all first started I seem to remember John Prescott outlawing that after a hue and cry about it.
I must admit I have had the same experience as you.
i remember that, but then prescott got distracted , punching farmers and installing bus lanes on motorways.

i remember that, but then prescott got distracted , punching farmers and installing bus lanes on motorways.
Yes , I think he had to resign and it died the death. Wasn't there a hue and cry about Council contracts only being awarded to Certain (sic) members.

isn't that a basis of a labour party manisfesto.... we give contracts to our buddies.

There did use to be something (I think) called the Welsh Office, which was run by Prescott.
They brought out something in the late 80s early 90s where if a Council or Housing Association, failed to make a repair within a reasonable time, the tenant could get someone in and then bill the Council/Housing Association.
There was also something about being able to charge for any improvements a tenant had made if they left the property.

There did use to be something (I think) called the Welsh Office, which was run by Prescott.
They brought out something in the late 80s early 90s where if a Council or Housing Association, failed to make a repair within a reasonable time, the tenant could get someone in and then bill the Council/Housing Association.
There was also something about being able to charge for any improvements a tenant had made if they left the property.

They do that up here , they give the landlord a reasonable period of time to remedy any complaint ,If they do not comply the council authorises the repair and bills the landlord.

Reply to Electrical Inspections , who can and who cannot? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock