Discuss Emergency light checks - Essential work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I have cancelled all my jobs, but I conduct monthly light checks on blocks of flats, so I am planning on still doing them because I don't have to be inside peoples homes or near them (at least 2 metre separation).

Would others also consider emergency light checks to be essential works?

I would say Essential.
There hasn't been any relaxation of building owner repsonsibilities and I don't beleive there would be.

Tennanted houses still need Gas Safety checks.
Gas safe are allowing Registered gas engineers whose qualification has expired to remain on the register and continue to work, as a lot, if not all now, assessment centres have closed.

if you routinely test once a month, can't see why missing a month would be detrimental.

The MOT Exemption is being set in Law.

It's because of the risk of infection transfer and the likelihood that many MOT stations will close due to Self isolation of staff possibly leaving Key workers without transport.

Testing EM lights has no direct interaction with others and may reveal potential safety issues.

A routine monthly check is only a check of function and that charge indicators are operating, not a duration test.

I can understand gas yes for servicing boilers, but E/lighting maintenance no.
the idea of a route maintance is to see if the batteries hold.

That is not the purpose of a monthly check.

The monthly check is to ensure the the lights work functionally.

Emergency lighting is an essential safety service and should still be correctly maintained.
An emergency evacuation will not wait until the end of the quarantine period to happen.

I appreciate the different views, but I will do them because I am not putting myself or others at risk and I'm obeying the 2 metre rule, plus should an emergency evacuation be necessary from the flats in dark hours and there was an issue with the lights then it could potentially be serious.

I'm sure it's a higher priority and lower risk to me or anyone else than allowing off licences to remain open and be classed as 'essential.'

Are they? Is that new as only a couple of days ago they were only relaxing the requirement for HGV testing.

Yes announced for cars / vans / bikes yesterday to apply after 30th March.
If your MOT runs out before then you need to do it now.

The wifeys car needed doing on the 30th of this month were are both sat in the garden with a remote sending the car for a mot considering both isolateding.

Thinking from the outside here, if you do a monthly functionality (as opposed to duration) test, and you can do it safely within current guidelines, then while it might not be "essential" i would think it could be done without a problem.
How often is the duration test done?
Suppose the duration test showed failings though? Then you have a period for recharging which might leave the building without cover. However, in a failure scenario, you would then have to fix the problem, but surely this could also be done safely within current guidelines?
I guess I'm thinking, why not just do the monthly test?
If you didn't, and there was a problem during an evacuation...where would the blame lie?

I appreciate the different views, but I will do them because I am not putting myself or others at risk and I'm obeying the 2 metre rule, plus should an emergency evacuation be necessary from the flats in dark hours and there was an issue with the lights then it could potentially be serious.

I'm sure it's a higher priority and lower risk to me or anyone else than allowing off licences to remain open and be classed as 'essential.'
Excellent decision Peter! You have my full support...

Reply to Emergency light checks - Essential work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock