Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi people,

when calculating max demand of a lighting circuit that already exists, do I count an emergency light as 100W like any other fitting, or at the max 8W that the fitting is rated at?

Thanks

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
T

TonyM58

Stu, i would try it and see

what i mean is, try counting it at 100W, and see if the breaker and cable are correct.

If you find it goes over, then theres nothing to stop you taking it at 8W, because theres is no danger of someone replacing it with a higher wattage and overloading it

Thats why i would do anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for your input. The calcs come out fine at 100W per fitting and also including the extra lights that I intend to fit. But it did make me wonder that in the event that the limits where closer, what would be the apporpriate action?

My only concern would be that if somebody changed the emergency light fitting to a normal lamp holder, (for whatever reason). But I guess that would then be the responsibility of the installer / designer at the time.

thanks again

T

TonyM58

Stu,

depending on the cable size, theres nothing to stop you upgrading the breaker from a 6 to a 10A (assuming its a 6 now)

And theres nothing to stop you putting a note on your certs (and even on the dis board) saying that the emerg light should not be changed without redesigning the circuit.

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom