Discuss Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

s6stu

-
Reaction score
Hi people,

when calculating max demand of a lighting circuit that already exists, do I count an emergency light as 100W like any other fitting, or at the max 8W that the fitting is rated at?

Thanks

Stu, i would try it and see

what i mean is, try counting it at 100W, and see if the breaker and cable are correct.

If you find it goes over, then theres nothing to stop you taking it at 8W, because theres is no danger of someone replacing it with a higher wattage and overloading it

Thats why i would do anyway

Thanks for your input. The calcs come out fine at 100W per fitting and also including the extra lights that I intend to fit. But it did make me wonder that in the event that the limits where closer, what would be the apporpriate action?

My only concern would be that if somebody changed the emergency light fitting to a normal lamp holder, (for whatever reason). But I guess that would then be the responsibility of the installer / designer at the time.

thanks again

Stu,

depending on the cable size, theres nothing to stop you upgrading the breaker from a 6 to a 10A (assuming its a 6 now)

And theres nothing to stop you putting a note on your certs (and even on the dis board) saying that the emerg light should not be changed without redesigning the circuit.

Reply to Emergency Lighting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock