Discuss EN standards of neon scredrivers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello people,

Not an electrician, but more of a quality controller. I've got to check for the compliance one those horrible neon screwdrivers for a company but I'm pretty stumped.

Some people say they should conform to EN 61010-031 and some say EN 61423-3. RAPEX has many of these listed with the most common problem as "protection rim on handle is too small". I assume that's the finger guards or lack thereof. Stanley had theirs withdrawn.

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons...101/14&exclude_search_term=0&search_year=2014

The one I have is GS / VDE certified, but I have a feeling that it's just not enough and doesn't have the required finger guards. There market is full of them and some by reputable-ish brands like Draper.

Do the following standards actually cover this products or do they also require EN 61010-1 / 61423-3?

VIN VDE 0680 Teil 6/04.77
AfPS GS 2014:01

View attachment 35761

View attachment 35762

The standards quoted in your post are required by GS38, the guide produced by the HSE to ensure compliance with the EAWR when using test equipment on live parts. These screwdrivers also do not have the finger guards, 4mm or less exposed metal tips, or fuses required by GS38.
They are not suitable for use and should be exposed to the aforementioned hammer test before disposing of them in a manner in compliance with current recycling directives. :D

Electrical test equipment for use on low voltage electrical systems - http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/gs38.htm

I know they're crap, but the ones I'm looking at are for home / DIY use so I don't think HSE rules apply. All I need to know is EN standard that these should conform to.

Last edited:
One should argue that if designed for home / DIY use they should have even tougher safety standards or not be made at all.

I know they're crap, but the ones I'm looking at are for home / DIY use so I don't think HSE rules apply. All I need to know is EN standard that these should conform to.

Not entirely sure, possibly the ones you mentioned, possibly none at all. A call to BSi may be in order to determine the standard and to purchase the standard so you can adequately test for compliance.

Not entirely sure, possibly the ones you mentioned, possibly none at all. A call to BSi may be in order to determine the standard and to purchase the standard so you can adequately test for compliance.

I'm a BSI member and they're a bunch of idiots, all they ever do is search the store, they don't actually have knowledge of standards. The only reason to be a member is the discount on already overpriced standards.

That's even worse flogging them to DIYers, Jimmy

Reply to EN standards of neon scredrivers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock