Discuss EPC Requirements in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Martyfox

Hi Folks.

I have a couple of queries about the EPC requirement as it stands now.

1) When solar PV is installed and commissioned on a new build property prior to building completion, the EPC will include the solar PV. According to the guidance document, it suggest that if the EPC includes the Solar PV the Lower Rate will be applied. Is this correct?

2) For installations with solar PV installed prior to this year but not registered for FIT at the time, if an EPC is carried out to encompass other energy saving improvements to achieve D the solar PV will also be included. As above, the Higher rate will not be available, even if significant improvement above D is made.

I guess that in both of these cases it would be useful to have a means of "discounting" the Solar PV in order to demonstrate the requirement would be met without the score from the Solar included. Does anybody know if this is something which can be done?

I understand that both these cases are missing the point of the requirement for the EPC rating...but just want want make sure we're doing this correctly, as there's a relatively large jump between Higher Rate and Lower Rate (for what it's worth).

We're in Scotland, so perhaps there are differences to the process...

Under the latest rules the EPC must be issued "on or before" the PV commissioning date in order to qualify for the higher rate.

Scenario 1 - you just need the EPC to be dated the same day as the PV commissioning.

Scenario 2 - strictly you can no longer qualify for the higher rate. Some might argue that you can decommission and recommission to get around this for an existing system although that might prove awkward where there are existing MCS certs and G/83 docs that are already dated earlier.

I've been doing some investigation into this and am waiting for further clarification from Ofgem, and STA have queried it with DECC.

I think there's a workaround where the EPC for the new build could be produced prior to the PV being commissioned - ie if the PV is not connected up to the mains then it's not commissioned and can't be put on the EPC. The PV would then need to be commissioned, MCS cert issued and FIT application submitted. There would then have to be a 2nd EPC produced by the same assessor after commissioning the PV, which would then be the EPC to be used for building regs.

Not so bad for a self builder, but a huge admin issue for volume builders, and probably not worth it for the 2-4 panel systems they tend to need for SAP compliance.

eta on point 2 I think you'd be scoobied.

Thanks both.

Yes, going by the current wording it's not really clear what they want. Dating MCS same as EPC is probably simplest, but not always possible..

And the workaround is going to end up costing time and money, even for the small developments we're working on.

Agreed, the hassle probably not worth it for these types of new builds with small systems - apply with completed home EPC and get export rate and lower rate for simplicity..

Hi All.

One customer has an install already (small) and never registered for FITs in time and would like to increase size. So from what is said it is unlikely that will qualify for any FIT on the smaller system?

On another job (farm) can the EPC be carried out on the same day of the commissioning and include the PV?

Many thanks

I'm following this thread with interest as we haven't done much solar this year but are getting a flutter of interest - so i need to brush up on some of the changes.

One customer has an install already (small) and never registered for FITs in time and would like to increase size. So from what is said it is unlikely that will qualify for any FIT on the smaller system?
- I would have thought that if it has not been registered for fits at all you could swap out the generation meter for a new one which incorporates both arrays, starting at a "0" count and register under that meter number? i'm not sure how you stand with issuing an MCS cert for the 2 arrays though as presumably if you submit the first cert then the second cert wouldn't qualify for any FIT?

Reply to EPC Requirements in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net