Discuss estimating cable size in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rasell

Is there a reliable way of estimating cable size when doing a visual inspection?

Sometimes cables can look the same, is it just a case of experience or is there a definite way of measuring and saying that is 6mm or 10mm?

Marc

Is there a reliable way of estimating cable size when doing a visual inspection?

Sometimes cables can look the same, is it just a case of experience or is there a definite way of measuring and saying that is 6mm or 10mm?

Marc

only problem i have is when it comes to 4 / 6 mm besides that it comes with experience when assessing cable size.

I agree, Ian. I have come across two 2.5mm single solid core PVCs , where the insulating PVC makes one look like a 4mm! Also stranded cable can appear roughly one size bigger than it actually is, when comparing to solid core cables. Maybe it would be an idea to carry around a few cable cuttings with the sizes written on them and keep them in your testing kit box.. just a suggestion...

Not sure who makes em, but there is a measuring device that loops around the core and has a reading on the side, perhaps your wholesaler may know. i saw a spark with one recently on a job, but we have since moved on.

Wouldnt that measure the cable's diameter though as opposed to csa?

hello all, I raised this question in the inspection and testing section recently...

you can use verniers to measure the O/D of the cable to give you a guide for the csa of the cable. (this is not an exact science as so to speak but)

as you say the look of the core csa can be decieving..

You cannot just go by the width of the cable. Different manufacturers, different types of cable, old cables, new cables, solid, stranded, there are so many variables.

You just have to take them out and have a good look at the copper, not the insulated part.

Modern cables tend to have thinner insulation, so an old 6 might look like a new 10, and so on and so on.

For the larger sizes 10mm and up, I keep a piece of string with a crimp lug of every size going up to 300mm and at the board I take the live out and try each lug to see what fits. After checking it's dead of course!

To differentiate between 6 and ten I carry a yellow crimp connector. If it fits or nearly with a bit of wiggling it's a 6 if not its a 10. Hope this helps

Reply to estimating cable size in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock