Discuss EV Charging post AMD2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On a video from David Savery when he installed an EV charger, he went on a little rant about why PEN faults are not an issue for EVs, due to the charger points CPC not being bonded to the cars body/chassis but instead the DC battey ground is bonded the car body/chassis and there is isolation (via transformer) between the AC/TNCS CPC/Earth and the DC ground, I have no idea how true this is , but would be very interesting if it is true, even if only for some cars
Interestingly,the INDRA EV charger has an option the installer can choose where the circuit CPC is broken under open PEN faults ,thus ensuring the car metalwork is voltage free.Breaking the CPC? Thats more than a lttle revolutionary ,but if it can be done safely , I,m for it as I find it preferable to some of the current "safety measures" in use for EV chargers

Breaking the CPC? Thats more than a lttle revolutionary ,but if it can be done safely , I,m for it as I find it preferable to some of the current "safety measures" in use for EV chargers
That is basically how the Matt:e and similar work, the major difference I guess is how they detect the open PEN condition.

Going TT is doing that from the outset by providing an alternative means of earthing (the rod).

Reply to EV Charging post AMD2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Can we as electricians pick up on a broken PEN conductor? I’ve installed an EV charger for FIL, and everything tested fine, but there is a fault...
Replies
Views
Hi. Not sure if it's the right place to ask, so won't be upset if it gets removed. Apologies if the terminology (PEN/PME/etc) is used...
Replies
Views
So I am a fully qualified spark with my own company, however I also have a few properties I rent out. One of my tenants asked if they can have an...
Replies
Views
As the title says, does a three-pin socket (external) used as charging point need an earth electrode or open PEN fault? Are mode 1 and mode 2...
Replies
Views
Somewhere along the line I picked up a suggestion from a forum posting or two that the DNO does not like you to connect an earthing rod to his...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock