Discuss Extending a circuit to 17th edition in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bluecallum

I am going to be extending a kitchen ring main circuit,looking at the consumer unit it is a old wylex fuse board that has in the past been updated to mcb's,so there is no rcd protection on any of the circuits,obviously the circuit i am going to be extending has to done by the 17th edition method,not being able to get rcbo's for this age of board,can someone please advise how this sitation can be solved.Thanks

good old 17th huh....the customers will love hearing "oh by the way the job's going to cost a shed-load more because of new regs blah blah blah..."

the cowboys are going to have a whale of a time undercutting us proper lecs by not installing any RCD's. yeee-haa!

Remove ring legs from old wylex cu ---> 6mm T/E from the existing 30/32A fuse going to --> small enclosure containing 30mA rcd --> reinstall ring legs to the load side of rcd.
Site the rcd next to the cu, cheap as chips only need to add £40 to the price of a job for materials.

id give them the options... the above methods, or fit them a new board, half the time customers like to see something a bit more uptodate even if they arnt any better protected by it. plus is it the old old wylex with the wooden backing to it? if so then thats the fire risk excuse to definately fit a new board (extra £250 for ya!)

Reply to Extending a circuit to 17th edition in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Been asked to move, remove and add some sockets the kitchen and I’ll need to add a circuit for an electric hob. Looked at the board and it’s one...
Replies
Views
Please advise what I should test / check next. My usual qualified electrician who did all of the work here is in Ireland for 4 weeks and not...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I have some industrial lighting circuits to wire in a workshop and was after some fresh ideas/suggestions as to how i could best do this...
Replies
Views
Hello all. So I am sure the expertise on this forum will be able to decode this very easily. But it has completely baffled me. I'm in training so...
Replies
Views
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock