Discuss extension leads with surge adaptors in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

multimick

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
don't do much pa testing but noticed a couple of times these show reverse polarity on my megger pat 120 ,but test the pins for continuity and its ok on neutral and earth but no continuity on line,they all work ok ,is the electronics causing problems ?

There's a good case to test at both 500V to prove the functionality of the SPD and 250V to obtain a 'normal' value for typical conditions, i.e. without the SPD operating.

If the 500V test returns a high resistance value, then the SPD is not going to be of any use in a real over voltage situation during operation.

There's a good case to test at both 500V to prove the functionality of the SPD and 250V to obtain a 'normal' value for typical conditions, i.e. without the SPD operating.

If the 500V test returns a high resistance value, then the SPD is not going to be of any use in a real over voltage situation during operation.
My understanding of how SPDs work, is that every time there is a surge, material is lost.
Eventually, if there are enough surges, the device has to be replaced.
Testing at 500V will reduce the life of the device.

Remember those MK filtered sockets which had a replaceable filter cassette. Once it had been triggered a certain amount of times it indicated it needed replacing.

Reply to extension leads with surge adaptors in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock