Discuss Extractor Fan (with timer) Wiring Help (UK) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
I can't find a manual for the extractor fan I'm removing to replace on the ceiling of my bathroom.

It is a timed extractor fan with 3 points which I imagine means I just need to match the correct cables to the new fan.
I don't understand what the meaning of each point is on the old fan to make sure correctly connect them to the new fan.

Old Fan:

1. "T" (Brown Cable)
  2. "VS" (Black Cable)
  3. "N" (Grey Cable)
New Fan

1. "N"
  2. "S/L"
  3. "L"
Thanks!

Attachments

• Extractor Fan (with timer) Wiring Help (UK) IMG_3407 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3407.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Extractor Fan (with timer) Wiring Help (UK) IMG_3408 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_3408.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 15
Well you know that the N is neutral so that's sorted then L - Live as in permanent and S/L is switch live so with a multi meter set to volts its fairly straight forward just find the permanent live which i would guess is the Brown Grey is Neutral and Black as the S/L Best to check it!

Well you know that the N is neutral so that's sorted then L - Live as in permanent and S/L is switch live so with a multi meter set to volts its fairly straight forward just find the permanent live which i would guess is the Brown Grey is Neutral and Black as the S/L Best to check it!

Yep I got the neutral. Just unsure which is L or S/L on the older unit. I have no electrical skills and I'm a little scared to get it wrong!

if you get the perm. L and the switched L the wrong way, it won't work but it won't cause a bang or anything bad. if the first try is wrong, swap 'em round.

if you get the perm. L and the switched L the wrong way, it won't work but it won't cause a bang or anything bad. if the first try is wrong, swap 'em round.
True however with orangefridge's lack of electrical skills i personally did not want to put him at risk as i have not long joined and only wanted to give out good advise, not that yours is inaccurate.

True however with orangefridge's lack of electrical skills i personally did not want to put him at risk as i have not long joined and only wanted to give out good advise, not that yours is inaccurate.
there is a level at which we need to decide if advising on how to do, or call an electrician. personally, i only advise how to do if i think OP is capable of doing it right and safely.

there is a level at which we need to decide if advising on how to do, or call an electrician. personally, i only advise how to do if i think OP is capable of doing it right and safely.

Thanks for the replies all!
I have a lot of experience doing small electrical stuff like music gear etc but never live mains stuff so was just checking to be sure.

If nothing will explode and burn my house down if I get the two wires round the wrong way then I can give it a shot!

Out of curiosity would an electric shock from this be really dangerous?! I will of course turn the power off first lol

Yes. Turn the power off first, and then it will no longer be “LIVE mains stuff”
There may be a 3 pole isolated than turns the fan off? Like a light switch but a wider rocker.

Either way... turn off the power.
As suggested, the neutral is the same N. Try L and sw/l one way, see if it works.
It won’t go bang unless;-
You got one of the L and the N the wrong way round...
You leave too much copper showing at the connections and they touch each other.

we are assuming here that both your old and new fans are both 230v? There’s not a 12v variety in there?

And your last question. Yes, any electric shock can be dangerous. Even a mild shock for a very short duration could be fatal for someone with a weak heart for example.

Out of curiosity would an electric shock from this be really dangerous?! I will of course turn the power off first lol

Yes an electric shock at mains voltage can be very dangerous and sometimes fatal. Even a small circuit such as a lighting circuit can deliver enough current to kill a human in a fraction of a second.

Reply to Extractor Fan (with timer) Wiring Help (UK) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock