Discuss Fire Incidents involving Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A series of documents have been published by BEIS, prepared by the BRE National Solar Centre. Can be found here: Fire incidents involving solar panels - GOV.UK - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-incidents-involving-solar-panels

Recommendatioons for the PV industry is the one to read.

To put the whole thing in perspective, the incidence of fires is far, far less than with domestic appliances.

Is interesting to note that it is acknowledged as virtually impossible not to mix and match DC (MC4) connectors, despite this being a recommendation.

Went to a job yesterday which had stopped working. Found an MC4 which had melted and concluded that it must have been made off incorrectly. Replaced it and the system still didn't work. Eventually tracked the fault down to a cable which had been extended with MC4. It had completely melted and we could just about make out where the cable had been crimped. It burnt a hole through the trapezoidal roof and has now become a major job. The roofer is adamant that the insulation could have ignited.

We're now having to remove most of the system so that the roof can be repaired and we're going to replace all of the installer installed MC4s.

Seems to me that badly made off/matched MC4s is the big risk and it's real.

Just to add, the internal works were impeccable. I am convinced that the internal works and the roof works were carried out by separate teams. It wouldn't surprise me if the cables were made off by roofers.

Also had experience of poorly made MC4. Called to an inoperative system. Found melted Plug that had dropped off from inverter. House holder was lucky that it dropped away as it melted. Whole house could have gone up.

Most common cause is inner metal terminal not being pushed fully home. I always pull back on cable to ensure the barbs have caught. Amazing the number of times you find they haven't. Cable crimp should be secondary, but some 4mm had quite a thin outer casing

Moral is to use good kit. Just bought a load of genuine Multi Contact MC4s in Bay Wa fire sale. (Unfortunately phrase for this thread!) Again, we would never use cable that comes bundled with other kit. We prefer the colour coded stuff (Brown and grey) that both Andy at Sibert and Segen sell.

Doesn't help also when you come across installations like this:
We've safely isolated it and told the homeowner not to switch it on until re-wired, it was a 3 year old new build, with 4 others built at the same time, they will also need checking, but who's going to pay?
1-IMG_2319.JPG

Reply to Fire Incidents involving Solar Panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock