Search the forum,

Discuss Fire system recommendations in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Ken_Johnson

Property is a self contained flat conversion of a large house.

I am required to install a 'domestic' system to each flat along with a separate system for the communal area and have some questions.

1. Some folks have recommended Fike Twinflex Pro, others have recommended Aico. What's the general preference on here?

2. I have confirmed with the independent BCO and he states a Grade D system is sufficient and a panel isn't necessary. However, without a panel, how would the fire brigade know which alarm has gone off?

3. I understand LD2 states "A system incorporating detectors in all circulation spaces that form part of the escape routes from the premises, and in all rooms or areas that present a high risk of fire to occupants".. some of the flats have lobbies - does this mean a smoke detector in the lobby and the main lounge?

Many thanks.

Your getting very mixed up here.....are the flats all self contained or HMO.?...how many floor levels...?

Last edited:
It's not a HMO. It is a house being converted to self-contained flats. There is a ground, first and second floor. There is a communal entrance to the building which then has a stair case and landing to the FD30 doors of the flats themselves.

The main communal circulation areas require a full fire alarm, with detection, call points and sounders on each level. Each individual flat will require Grade D mains/battery detection, optical smokes in circulation areas, and heat within kitchens. This is standard system required under local BC and approved Document B

The main communal circulation areas require a full fire alarm, with detection, call points and sounders on each level. Each individual flat will require Grade D mains/battery detection, optical smokes in circulation areas, and heat within kitchens. This is standard system required under local BC and approved Document B

1. Call points - the BCO is stating that call points are not required in the communal area, however, as you state, I would rather have them.

2. What exactly is a 'circulation area'?

3. Any recommendations with respect to which system for the flat(s) and communal area?

Many thanks.

Circulation areas are landings staircases areas which form an escape route. As such they are required to have a minimum of what needs to be covered by detection. ie LD3 under part 6 or L4 under part1.
Being a 3 level staircase to all flats, I would say a part 1 system covering the entrance, staircases and landings to all flats is required. This would be a full fire alarm system, complete with panel, detection, call points and sounders. Each flat would require a minimum of separate main/battery Part 6 LD3 detection in hallways and any landings. With possible addition of Kitchen taking coverage to LD2

Circulation areas are landings staircases areas which form an escape route. As such they are required to have a minimum of what needs to be covered by detection. ie LD3 under part 6 or L4 under part1.
Being a 3 level staircase to all flats, I would say a part 1 system covering the entrance, staircases and landings to all flats is required. This would be a full fire alarm system, complete with panel, detection, call points and sounders. Each flat would require a minimum of separate main/battery Part 6 LD3 detection in hallways and any landings. With possible addition of Kitchen taking coverage to LD2

Thanks Tazz.

Three of the flats have a protected lobby. Two of these three have a staircase from the lobby via an FD30 doorl. Would you recommend a SD in the lobby area, staircase and lounge, then a HD near the kitchen area?

With regards to to the communal area, you say a part 1 system is required with a panel. Would this panel show each of the flats as a zone too or just a panel for the communal area?

The panel would only show communal areas, usually by level. These areas would be staircases & landing areas to the fd30 entrance doors of each flat

Reply to Fire system recommendations in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net