Discuss Fire alarm panel. Don’t recognise fault code in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
The big stately home I’ve been working in has an EMS 5096 alarm system with over 100 detectors and 3 (that I know of) panels.
All detectors are battery powered and radio back to its closest panel. All panels are also radio linked together.

They get the odd fault code which is usually a flat battery. They can change the battery’s and reset the system themselves… but the other day they got a message that won’t reset.
The screen says fault and something like “Radio Net 03”

From what I’m guessing, it’s the radio link to the 3rd panel….. but I can’t find anything online on how to either reset it or investigate what the problem is.

Image attached with what the panel looks like.

IMG_5132.jpeg

Already downloaded that page, buzz. Doesn’t explain how to fix the problem.

I could, following the instructions, disconnect the panel from the system, then try to re-enable…. Wait and see.

The manager had contacted their alarm company that supposedly look after the system, but they said all they would do would be take a couple of days to test every sensor, with no guarantee they would find the problem.
He thinks they’ll end up just trying to sell him a new system.

Been back there today, and uncovered something. On any other panel, the fault just says “panel fault, net 03” but when I go to the actual panel number 3, the fault reads “fault RI”….. which according to the book is radio interference.
This system has been working for years without issue, fighting through thick brick walls over several hundred feet, and there’s been nothing introduced that could cause interference that I know of.

One question is whether it’s the radio link between the panels, or the system that communicates with each detector linked to that particular panel.

My next step is to disable every detector linked to that panel, until the fault clears or doesn’t.
I can speed that up by disabling zones of 4 or 5 detectors at a time.

Another question should be what can cause the interference? There’s been quite a few lamps replaced with LED recently… ??

Update:

After a few days of contacting EMS tech services, removing and re-enabling sensors, i got an email from them this morning saying there shouldn't be any reason that its not resetting.... perhaps you need to disconnect power, remove batterys to give it a full restart.... or alternatively press the 'warmstart' button inside the front cover...

The what now?

Had a look through all the documentation i could find, and indeed there is mention of this button.... but not where it is... just "press it if there's this problem"

Had a good look inside... and on the electronics board on the back of the panel... where the lcd screen is, there's a tiny button inside an access hole.... youde never see it if you werent looking for it....
Gave it a click, and the thing dies down... beeps loudly, then things start clicking back into place....

Total faults - none

Status - Normal

You beauty!

All i need to do now is source a couple of spare detector heads... they were giving faults too, and putting fresh battery's in didn't help.... Only stock available for redundant system is from Ebay... and sellers are looking for £180 plus......

Theyve got at least 3 faulty detectors now.... new battery doesnt help.
The original detectors for this system is stupid money on ebay... but can get the newer version detectors, second hand, from a supposedly working system for about 25 each.

eventually... they are going to need a new system, and i cant see it being a straight swap of each panel and detector....
They would like me to do it though.... when the time comes....

So to design, install and commission a new system, what trade bodies would i need to become a member of?
Theres BAFE that i read.... anyone else? I dont mind doing a bit of training, and paying for a certificate, if it covers me to install this, plus get the service contract??

If it’s going to be a new EMS system going in, then contact them and they will come and do a survey, design the new system and come and commission it once you’ve installed it.

If it’s going to be a new EMS system going in, then contact them and they will come and do a survey, design the new system and come and commission it once you’ve installed it.
Ok… so I don’t have to be accredited to install the system… I just put it in to their spec?

What about ongoing servicing? Don’t need a badge for that? Would just be changing the battery’s on an annual basis or something.

I can check if the site insurance requires to be remotely monitored…. But I don’t think so as they have a live-in curator in one wing, and the lord of the manor and family in the other

All i need to do now is source a couple of spare detector heads... they were giving faults too, and putting fresh battery's in didn't help.... Only stock available for redundant system is from Ebay... and sellers are looking for £180 plus......
Looking at EMS panels they don't seem too badly priced but new detectors / bases look pricey

For me there would have to be a good reason for using wireless on what is a critical a safety system especially with so much RF around these days to cause interference

For me there would have to be a good reason for using wireless on what is a critical a safety system especially with so much RF around these days to cause interference
Possibility of damage to many priceless artifacts,
Time taken to install miles and miles of fp200, and the final aesthetics of have a load of red wires or trunking running through period decorated rooms open to the public.

There is no Wi-Fi or other radio waves within that part of the house. Even mobile signal is extremely poor.

If something is designed to have rf communications, it will be built to avoid interference…. I think that’s the reason the current system is now redundant…. They had to change the frequency it used.

Time taken to install miles and miles of fp200, and the final aesthetics of have a load of red wires or trunking running through period decorated rooms open to the public.

There is no Wi-Fi or other radio waves within that part of the house. Even mobile signal is extremely poor.

If something is designed to have rf communications, it will be built to avoid interference…. I think that’s the reason the current system is now redundant…. They had to change the frequency it used.

I have a Unifi U6 access point and it does a scan and looks for interference, the problem could b a new wifi system interfering.

With the Unifi you can program the access points to not use certain bits of the wifi spectrum

I can understand the concern with that
I think given the type of building it is I think my choice would be MICC and definitely not FP and while it would need a lot of cable it would be a far more resiliant system that is not open to the whims of OFCOM and the government
RF interference is not just limited to Wi-Fi there are a lot of non licensed / lightly licenced frequencies out there which can all cause issues in other equipment
If something is designed to have rf communications, it will be built to avoid interference….
That theory doesn't always work, having worked with radio data comms for a number years there was one manufacturer that produced 2 radio products that couldn't be co-located due to using different frequency modes and one would wipe the other out
I think that’s the reason the current system is now redundant…. They had to change the frequency it used.
As the radio spectrum becomes more and more cluttered and OFCOM / the government see an opportunity to sell off specific portions of the radio spectrum for chunks of money it is always possible that equipment operating in that part of the spectrum will become redundant with in some cases very little notice, the most noticeable one in recent times is the terrestial TV frequency band with the upper frequencies (UHF channels 60 - 69) being creamed off for 5G
This is why I don't generally consider wireless equipment as a first / primary choice as once a frequency band is taken from the radio spectrum and sold off if the existing equipment / system` causes interference you may be forced to replace it possibly prematurely to avoid enforcement action

Using MICC would be best.
It would add to the artefacts in a few years, too. 😉

Ok… so I don’t have to be accredited to install the system… I just put it in to their spec?

What about ongoing servicing? Don’t need a badge for that? Would just be changing the battery’s on an annual basis or something.

I can check if the site insurance requires to be remotely monitored…. But I don’t think so as they have a live-in curator in one wing, and the lord of the manor and family in the other
No accreditation need to install it, you just follow their spec and design.

Technically you don’t need any qualifications to carry out a service other than being competent. But as it is with anything how do you define being competent? Personally some basic FIA courses would cover you on that front and teach you the basics and what you need to know. But not sure the cost would be worth it just for one service contract.

No accreditation need to install it, you just follow their spec and design.

Technically you don’t need any qualifications to carry out a service other than being competent. But as it is with anything how do you define being competent? Personally some basic FIA courses would cover you on that front and teach you the basics and what you need to know. But not sure the cost would be worth it just for one service contract.
Thanks.

I do a lot more for the site than just change a few alarm batterys.

EICRs, PAT, numerous little jobs. Never away from the place.

Reply to Fire alarm panel. Don’t recognise fault code in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net