Discuss Would you replace a 25 year old fire alarm panel if still working? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Geldoff1234

Somewhere,somehow,someone's going to pay
Have there been any major changes in fire alarm systems in the past 25 years?
The reason i ask is i have just had a customer on the phone that is saying that the company who service the fire alarm system for a church hall says that the panel must be replaced as it's 25 years old.

Now as far as i'm aware it's fully working with monitored zones and separate bell circuits and has been tested and passed for the past 25 years.
He is quoting £1000 to change the panel.

I personally think he's trying it on but i'd thought i'd ask on here first in case there are any new rules that stipulate the the panel would have to be changed.The batteries were only changed last year so are still fully working.
What do you guys think?

buzzlightyear

please let me back in to the prison cell.
Electrician's Arms
if is working ,why change it . has long its been serviced .
do you not think how many fire alarms over 25years in this country.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
BS5839:1 offers no life expectancy for a control panel. It would be interesting to know their reasons. Modern panels may offer greater flexibility and reductions in false alarms but if the existing panel is providing compliance with BS5839:1 I see no reason to change it.

OP
Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234

Somewhere,somehow,someone's going to pay
Thanks guys.My thoughts exactly.The price to change it set alarm bells ringing:moneybag:(no pun intended!:p).It's over double what i would think it would cost.I am going tomorrow to do some PAT testing so i will take some photo's of the panel and post back here tomorrow night.

westward10

In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream.
Staff member
Interesting, still see plenty of those panels in use and the most common failing is the membrane over the function buttons but they generally still operate, that one does not look too bad. I wonder if they can give proof it has exceeded the manufacturers service life.

LeeH

Electrician's Arms
Is the manufacturer still about to verify the ‘25 year service life’?

Edit westy beat me to it.

Nolnoc

Regular EF Member
They would not comply in a new installation but in an existing installation they should be fine

timbobelfast

Electrician's Arms
Sounds like the 'service engineer' is on commission. If only the equipment of today would last 25 years instead of the tatt that is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.