Discuss Would you replace a 25 year old fire alarm panel if still working? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have there been any major changes in fire alarm systems in the past 25 years?
The reason i ask is i have just had a customer on the phone that is saying that the company who service the fire alarm system for a church hall says that the panel must be replaced as it's 25 years old.

Now as far as i'm aware it's fully working with monitored zones and separate bell circuits and has been tested and passed for the past 25 years.
He is quoting £1000 to change the panel.

I personally think he's trying it on but i'd thought i'd ask on here first in case there are any new rules that stipulate the the panel would have to be changed.The batteries were only changed last year so are still fully working.
What do you guys think?

BS5839:1 offers no life expectancy for a control panel. It would be interesting to know their reasons. Modern panels may offer greater flexibility and reductions in false alarms but if the existing panel is providing compliance with BS5839:1 I see no reason to change it.

Thanks guys.My thoughts exactly.The price to change it set alarm bells ringing:moneybag:(no pun intended!:p).It's over double what i would think it would cost.I am going tomorrow to do some PAT testing so i will take some photo's of the panel and post back here tomorrow night.

Interesting, still see plenty of those panels in use and the most common failing is the membrane over the function buttons but they generally still operate, that one does not look too bad. I wonder if they can give proof it has exceeded the manufacturers service life.

Sounds like the 'service engineer' is on commission. If only the equipment of today would last 25 years instead of the tatt that is about.

Reply to Would you replace a 25 year old fire alarm panel if still working? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock