Discuss Advice on safety of new Consumer Unit Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I’m not condoning anything this charlatan has done, but a handwritten test certificate is just as acceptable as a computer generated one… it was the way things were always done not that long ago…. And it looks like he’s attempted to fill things in… some cowboys don’t even bother.
There is handwritten and there is scrawl and the cert is definitely a piece of inaccurate scrawl
EIC versus EICR… yeh ok… a consumer unit change should be an EIC, but an EICR shows all the same information and is (wrongfully) demanded by letting agents rather than an EIC.
All down to education or more likely the lack of
To think the guy never even had a bit of green/yellow sleeving in the van….
He only charged £250 the sleeving was probably going to be an extra
Repeating what others have said… being listed on check a trade, my builder, even the NAPIT or NICEIC websites does not guarantee competence… however these companies may claim.
The way the NICEIC have gone in the last few years it amazes me they are still in business, it seems there are plenty of schemes and business lead companies not stepping up to the plate with proper vetting of those they allow on their registers and the electrical industry is embarassing itself by continuing to allow these outfits to operate
The best place to find a reliable tradesman is, as it’s always been, word of mouth.
Even the ones on here, I can’t trust them as far as I can throw ‘em…. 🤣
Finding a reliable tradesman is very different to finding one with the skills and competencies to complete the job to a standard that meets the regs and looks like it has a professional finish

There is handwritten and there is scrawl and the cert is definitely a piece of inaccurate scrawl

All down to education or more likely the lack of
All your points, except the one regarding earth sleeving 😉, have been regular topics on this forum for the last ten years, or more. Nothing is going to change, the infestation of our trade is too deep, as you know.
I think if they still did A, B and C certs there would now be a D cert......for all those short cutting the ABC's.
Plenty of these jokers don't even know their ABC.....but it don't matter, they're charging £250 for 3 hours of crap.

Last edited:
My eyes are still bleeding from looking at those pics....Absolutely disgusting install, Tell the so called sparky that Screwfix which guaranteed is where he got the Consumer Unit from also sell rubbish bins and he should buy one then PUT ALL HIS TOOLS INTO IT

My eyes are still bleeding from looking at those pics....Absolutely disgusting install, Tell the so called sparky that Screwfix which guaranteed is where he got the Consumer Unit from also sell rubbish bins and he should buy one then PUT ALL HIS TOOLS INTO IT
Lol what's up with getting the unit from Screwfix? They're cheap.

Not saying you're doing this, but i always see those in the trade especially commercial sparks laughing at those who use Screwfix, but then go in CEF and pay 20% more for the exact same thing. I find it odd.

I thought 10mm was better for cooker? Now I know its 6mm I take it I should stay away from installing an induction hob when fitting the kitchen!
Others have already answered this as "it is fine" but the more detailed reason is for domestic cookers (not commercial kitchen!) the approved diversity calculation for the cable & supply protection rating is 10A plus 30% of remainder, or more detailed:

Required rating 10A + 0.3 * (load - 10A) + 5A if kettle socket present.

So a 32A MCB/RCBO along with 6mm cable is good to 10 + (32 - 15) / 0.3 for the cooker = 66A = 15kW cooker

Basically once a cooker gets up to temperature all of the elements cycle on/off to regulate things so the load drops dramatically, and domestic chefs are not in the habit of whacking everything on at once to pre-heat for the near continuous use that a commercial chef would have.

A mate of mine is the manager of a wholesalers and they get joe public and some supposedly qualified sparks asking them what they need to do various electrical jobs and talking to other wholesalers it is becoming more common to be asked what they reccommend for jobs

A mate of mine is the manager of a wholesalers and they get joe public and some supposedly qualified sparks asking them what they need to do various electrical jobs and talking to other wholesalers it is becoming more common to be asked what they reccommend for jobs
Which is worrying, given that wholesalers may have good knowledge of the products they sell (or have had manufacturer 'training' on), but don't in my experience have much knowledge about regulations or what is needed to do a compliant install.

I am giving BG the benefit of the doubt not a bad panel it does have a level built in !
They aren't awful - I think they suffer some by selling most of their stock through the sheds.

I used to use their plastic ones by preference, but the metal ones are VERY solid, to the point that removing knockouts can be a real pita sometimes. They also have some odd design choices on their knockout location (on the last generation at least)

Any brand can be installed badly - but I guess that BG are the ones most likely to be installed badly since they are the cheapest and most available option to those who are most likely to install it badly...

Which is worrying, given that wholesalers may have good knowledge of the products they sell (or have had manufacturer 'training' on), but don't in my experience have much knowledge about regulations or what is needed to do a compliant install.
I forgot to point out they offer no advice on what to use for a particular job but may offer alternatives if the customer asks for a particular product and they have a number of different items in stock

I forgot to point out they offer no advice on what to use for a particular job but may offer alternatives if the customer asks for a particular product and they have a number of different items in stock
Some of them can be a good source of knowledge on products for sure, certainly compared to Screwfix staff!

Probably know best which lights/accessories don't come back often too, as it's in their interest.

But then there is always the risk that they are on a higher percentage on certain makes.

Some of them can be a good source of knowledge on products for sure, certainly compared to Screwfix staff!

Probably know best which lights/accessories don't come back often too, as it's in their interest.

But then there is always the risk that they are on a higher percentage on certain makes.
Very true. I have found the guys at my local Holland House to be helpful, they will get any stuff I specifically ask for, but often have suggestions of alternatives that they stock and have little problems with which occasionally turn out to be better than my original idea.

Just to add to your question, it may help it may not. I am one of the end terrace of a terrace of 7. We are all on a looped supply, 1 loop comes up my side wall splits to mine then feeds 2 other properties so 3 of the 7 from the incoming loop on my wall, then the remaining 4 in the terrace are looped together on a separate incoming loop on the end of the wall of the other end terrace the other side.

Its a rubber incoming cable with 2 cores. The earthing arrangement has always been like this.

I have also attached a photo of the setup before he came in and installed the new CU
View attachment 98921

On another note regards the loop, have a look at these pictures and see how dangerous this looks to you

View attachment 98922View attachment 98923View attachment 98924View attachment 98925
DANGER DANGER DANGER
Phone 105 NOW and state you have bare damaged supply cables.

Update.

I did ring the DNO, Northern Powergrid, I explained on the phone about the cables being bare, they asked me to email pictures (the exact ones I posted on here) within 45 minutes someone came out to look at them, within 2 hours of that, they (DNO) were digging up the garden and replacing it, So it has been replaced.

DANGER DANGER DANGER
Phone 105 NOW and state you have bare damaged supply cables.

Reply to Advice on safety of new Consumer Unit Install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net