Discuss First consumer unit change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
Did my first consumer unit change yesterday.
A few dodgy things with the old board as I’m sure most will see.

Owner wanted bringing up to date with individual circuit RCD protection and surge protection.

So fitted a Fusebox 10 way RCBO board. Complete with surge protection.

Also removed the bell transformer that was being fed from a hole directly in the side of the CU and put the cooker cable into some conduit as the owner didn’t want it chasing in. I didn’t think it wise to leave it draping over the top of the CU like it was previously!

Any feedback is welcome as I’m always happy to learn from the more experienced amongst the forum.

Only thing I couldn’t seem to rectify is the slight leaning of the RCBOs/Main switch. No matter what I did as soon as I torqued everything up on the busbar it moved slightly.

One of the RCBO was a tad close on testing as you can see on the pic. But a pass is a pass and I tested that both at the board and at a socket (was on a Ring Final).

Anyhoo here are some pics. First consumer unit change. C7DE9622-7934-44D3-8F86-0D824D4B6D89 - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 94E9EC2A-7FAC-4195-8250-311C72078E0E - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 4EA7914E-843C-4007-BA3A-AB0A0B2EF814 - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 27DBD3AD-44C3-4FC9-AFF3-6ABEF5EFFA33 - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 9AFC177C-4103-4D5F-B608-2696271DF146 - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 90531D46-106B-4CB2-9BF9-400BEAEEC930 - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 30748230-A35C-4DA2-AFA9-288A284ACC4B - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 0701D4FD-5696-4F6E-96A2-9230E1BE30CC - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 23B84E49-3BB5-4948-94FA-47732EC978BE - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 8869AA11-7326-4916-8F6B-C04A3B3149D5 - EletriciansForums.netFirst consumer unit change. 64189C8F-90DF-48C5-8C7B-D3DD3233FA8C - EletriciansForums.net

Re the RCBO test result, I generally find Fusebox RCBOs very consistent. Sometimes I can test a whole board and get pretty much exactly the same result for each one. Did you test it at the board, or possibly at an outlet (if a socket circuit) with load also connected?

neat work. little signs of bare conductors on outgoing side of MCBs, and thet 10mm bonding conductor looped below the MCBs is a bit untidy. however, it's as good as I would do anyway. ?

neat work. little signs of bare conductors on outgoing side of MCBs, and thet 10mm bonding conductor looped below the MCBs is a bit untidy. however, it's as good as I would do anyway. ?
That’s not a bonding conductor. It’s the earth from the SPD which comes out the bottom of it. So there is no other way to install it. ?

Re the RCBO test result, I generally find Fusebox RCBOs very consistent. Sometimes I can test a whole board and get pretty much exactly the same result for each one. Did you test it at the board, or possibly at an outlet (if a socket circuit) with load also connected?

As per post. I tested both at socket and at the board. Got the same result both times and nothing was plugged in as I left everything unplugged from test the ring.

All the others were mid-high 20s. Just this one was right on the cusp.

Nice job.
as mentioned before, I am also not a fan of push fit blanks, far prefer the manufacturers own ones that clip into the board like a dummy mcb.

looks neat, tests out ok.
WIN WIN in my book.

Nice job . Regards the rcd test . Did you check if there was any load on the circuit because if there was it can give you false results. Fridges still plugged into circuits are always favourite for giving high rcd reading. I always try and test rcds before connecting the outgoing circuits .

That’s not a bonding conductor. It’s the earth from the SPD which comes out the bottom of it. So there is no other way to install it. ?
apologies then. 9/10 then. some of my past work is only worth a 6/10. ( might have been a friday asfternoon after a few pints at lunch time ????)

Last edited:
Do you mean that, it test the RCD, but does not test the circuit will be protected by the RCD, or am I missing something?
most will say to test RCD without circuit/s connected. this eliminates any interference from circuits or connected items. it's purely a test of the RCD. however, testing at a connected socket is more "real life" situation. jury is out. maybe we should have a poll. i'd start one if i knew how.

Very tidy job - well done. BTW looking at first photo of new board did you originally have it too close to the ceiling to get the cover on ;-) Most of us have similar at some point!

I have a Fusebox board sitting here - I'm fitting one tomorrow for the first time.
I'm impressed with it so far. The cover has screw catchers, the knock outs actually knock out, and it feels very solid. It's also a nice size to replace a 6 module rewireable Wylex if space is limited.

Reply to First consumer unit change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock