Discuss Fitting a new Cooker Hood, moving the supply socket, and chased cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
We have had a new cooker hood delivered, we needed to unbox it and get it hung to free up space.

The new hood is a different design to the old one, and when mounted at the min. height above the hob, it covers the existing supply socket (hidden behind the hood's chimney).

So, the supply socket needs to be moved, but we can't get an electrician in for a while.

I've attached some helpful photos. Lucky that I took some during our kitchen refurb ten years ago! They show: chased wiring, separate isolation switch, current hood placement and socket, and the now hacked-away plaster to confirm what's lurking.

I understand that the existing wiring to the existing metal back box needs to continue to be run in the same line, vertically. I'm thinking that a new metal back box should be fitted above the horizontal, white conduit (this shields cabinet lighting cable).

I isolated the mains supply and I've capped-off the hood-supply wiring in a taped terminal block.

How can I safely extend the cable upwards to the new box, complying with all regulations please?

Attachments

• Cooker Hood 1-compress.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Cooker Hood 2-compress.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Cooker Hood 3-compress.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Cooker Hood 4-compress.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Cooker Hood 5-compress.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 25

Reply to Fitting a new Cooker Hood, moving the supply socket, and chased cables in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net