Discuss Fixing a TWO Hub HIVE system (in a single house) in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Over the course of getting the full house replumbed, a combination of our sparky and plumber have fitted a hive installation. The installation consists of two hubs, one which controls hot water and downstairs heating, the second controls the upstairs heating (over two floors). Each hub has its own receiver and own thermostat. All seems to work in terms of the thermostats controlling their individual receivers and in tern heating/water, but whilst I have registered one hub on the app (I have subsequently found out you can't register two) it won't find the thermostat connected to it. Also, whilst one of the receivers shows a solid green light, the other had shown a flashing green light since install (2 months ago).

Whilst trying to fix this I have found out that, in fact, the installation is wrong and have been told that I should have been fitted with one hub only and two thermostats in a multizone system. Having had a fairly long call with Hive today, they implied they could fix this over the phone by turning off one hub and connecting two thermostats to this.

I wanted an opinion as to whether this was possible or whether there was a potential hardwiring issue in terms of pumps/receivers/controllers etc that would prevent such an easy fix. I would have thought each hub would be wired to a separate pump and if I turn one off I will lose control of that pump? Ultimately I don't want to turn things off and then realise that I can't get the heating or water back on. If it helps I have an image of the plant room with the hubs and pumps but I can't work out how to attach?

Apologies in advance if any of this seems stupid!

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Fixing a TWO Hub HIVE system (in a single house) IMG_9112.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

You can only register one hub.
But you can make it a multi zone. So you would have one 2 channel receiver for heating and hot water and a thermostat. And a seperate single channel receiver for your other heating zone and a thermostat.

And multi zone only works with hives newer hubs

Thanks,

So I can just turn one of the hubs off in the plant room? How do I make the remaining one a multi-zone? And the remaining hub will definitely be able to control both zones, it won’t be hard wired to only control one?

Thanks again
Simon

Thanks,

So I can just turn one of the hubs off in the plant room?
Generally speaking the Hubs are the devices that plug into the router, the devices in the basement look like receivers to me.
The receivers pick up the signals from the stats but these need to registered to the Hub /gateway (the box thats plugged into your router),
Ive never used Hive but it should be pretty simple, your just have to log into it via a web browser its a bit like when you configure your router at home if you have ever done that.

Once setup you should be able to open the app and see both devices.

The hub it's what's plugged in to your broardband router.
And you can only have one.
Like hive said to you on the phone it can be done.

Makes sure the hub you have registered to your hive app is the one plugged in. Call hive back and they will talk you through setting it up. It will just be a case of resetting the thermostat that's not linked and syncing both your receivers to the one hub, so it becomes a multi zone
And if all the wiring is correct your good to go.

Generally speaking the Hubs are the devices that plug into the router, the devices in the basement look like receivers to me.
The receivers pick up the signals from the stats but these need to registered to the Hub /gateway (the box thats plugged into your router),
Ive never used Hive but it should be pretty simple, your just have to log into it via a web browser its a bit like when you configure your router at home if you have ever done that.

Once setup you should be able to open the app and see both devices.

Ah that makes a bit more sense. If that is the case then in theory it could be sorted in setup with current install. Thanks.

The hub it's what's plugged in to your broardband router.
And you can only have one.
Like hive said to you on the phone it can be done.

Makes sure the hub you have registered to your hive app is the one plugged in. Call hive back and they will talk you through setting it up. It will just be a case of resetting the thermostat that's not linked and syncing both your receivers to the one hub, so it becomes a multi zone
And if all the wiring is correct your good to go.
Understood. That does make sense. Thanks!

Reply to Fixing a TWO Hub HIVE system (in a single house) in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock