Discuss Fluke, Metrel, Kewtech MFT in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

adam1984

Hi,

I am after my first ever MFT. I have narrowed it down to the following and would like your suggestions good or bad. I will only be using it for Domestic work.

Fluke 1651b
Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus
Alphatek Easitest MI2087 AL2
Kewtech KT61

At college we only ever used Kewtech but they were a bit battered.

Any help is much appreciated.

Adam

get whatever you feel comfortable using. personally i'd buy a megger 1552 .

Hi,

I am after my first ever MFT. I have narrowed it down to the following and would like your suggestions good or bad. I will only be using it for Domestic work.

Fluke 1651b
Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus
Alphatek Easitest MI2087 AL2
Kewtech KT61

At college we only ever used Kewtech but they were a bit battered.

Any help is much appreciated.

Adam
Of the MFTs you have on your short list, as your a novice tester, I would recommend you opt for the Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus. This tester gives you the most 'bang for your buck' (not literally), the learning curve is gentle, it's easy to use and reliable. The only downside to it is the operators manual which can be a little taxing for the novice due to the odd terminology used in the translation from the original Sloveen. However, anything you don't understand, is but a question and answer away as there are lots of past and present owners on this forum.

Metrel Easitest is a good meter for the price and pretty much does everything you will need.
I have been using a Fluke 1653B recently which I would also recommend.

Haven't really used Megger so I can't comment on them.

Get the best meter that you can afford.

Quite happy with my Metrel, which I've had for a few years now.
If you purchase a meter through test-meter.co.uk, you may well get a 5% discount as a forum member.

I would have liked to offer advice, and an alternative outlet, but my post has been blocked as I mentioned another outlet... Open forum I think not.

I have a Fluke 1652 superb machine. I think it has a much better feel than than the megger. I live in Norfolk and have Fluke office on my door step where I have always received superb service. Best wishes for whatever toy you buy.

Of the MFTs you have on your short list, as your a novice tester, I would recommend you opt for the Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus. This tester gives you the most 'bang for your buck' (not literally), the learning curve is gentle, it's easy to use and reliable. The only downside to it is the operators manual which can be a little taxing for the novice due to the odd terminology used in the translation from the original Sloveen. However, anything you don't understand, is but a question and answer away as there are lots of past and present owners on this forum.

Doh, the classic learning curve no-no :nonod:

Read this:

steep learning curve

:innocent:

It's very usefull having Auto RCD testing feature and I'm sure the testers you have mentioned done have that.

The next Metrel up does, MI3100... Go for that, or as mentioned, Megger 1552 not the 1502

i have the fluke 1652B, i love it ok the meggers only have the 2 leads, but it has all the functions you would need, inc the RCD auto function. it has the handy push button on the line/phase lead.
That said i have not used any other units eccept an old metrel, which was rubbish.

It's very usefull having Auto RCD testing feature and I'm sure the testers you have mentioned done have that.

The next Metrel up does, MI3100... Go for that, or as mentioned, Megger 1552 not the 1502

We often get a lot of confusion regarding differences between the countless mumber of Metrel Multifunction testers. Especially between the MI3000 and MI3100. Just thought I would clarify.

The specifications of the two testers are IDENTICAL. They both carry out the exact same tests. Apart from the cosmetical apperance the only differences are:

-MI3100 comes supplied with a Tip Commander Probe (2 wire - usable for dead testing only)
-MI3100 has inbuilt Fuse Characteristics for a Pass/Fail evaluation on the Loop test.
-MI3100 has schematic help screens inbuilt with diagrams of general use of the tester.

Other than that they two units are the exact same. If anyone is considering a Metrel tester hopefully this might help a little.

I would have liked to offer advice, and an alternative outlet, but my post has been blocked as I mentioned another outlet... Open forum I think not.

Because you have less than 100 posts, therefore haven't contributed anything to the forum, you can't post links. You also can't post links to commercial websites that you have a financial interest in, as that's biased advice, and we're an open forum that's unbiased.

We need very little financial support to run the forum, and we have those who have kindly backed us for years.

We don't push brands, products, or promotions down peoples throats. And we're the UK's biggest electrical forum. So I think our model is perfect to be honest Bill.

I'll let you keep your account, but it'll be monitored long-term.

Don't cash in on the forum members and your account will be fine.

If your genuine customers think your products are right for the market, they will naturally get mentioned from time to time.

Though creating forum accounts to offer products and or services is not what we want - and that is why you have had several accounts removed as a company in general.

Please don't publicly accuse me of doing something wrong or suggesting our model isn't right for you, because I haven't done anything wrong and the model is perfect for the MEMBERS which is who I intend on looking after.

Reply to Fluke, Metrel, Kewtech MFT in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock