NAPIT Certification Scheme Fraudulent EICR, who to contact?

Discuss Fraudulent EICR, who to contact? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I hope somebody can help me here, I really need some advice on who to complain to in this situation please:

Hello, So after months of chasing my landlord, I've finally gotten my hands on the EICR for the rental property. There are some serious issues which makes me strongly suspect the landlord and the electrician colluded to issue the fraudulent EICR. Firstly,

1.) The landlord is listed as the resident, there is no way that this could be an honest mistake.
2.) There was electrical wiring in the living room that was exposed when the safety check was done.
3.) The electrician didn't even go upstairs, but the certificate was for the whole home.

I try to complain to NAPIT and they tell me I have to give the electrician a chance to put things right.

When I called the electrician who carried out the test, he said the landlord had told him that he was the resident of the property. He even admitted to me that the exposed wiring was something the landlord promised to fix after the inspection. Surely that cannot be right? How can an electrician 'pass' a property with the landlord's promise of fixing issues? The call was recorded.

Later in the same day, the original electrician texts me to offers to a free inspection. I agree under the expressed condition that I will get an eicr and the issues in writing. Texts screenshoted as evidence. He finds a variety of issues that he didn't the first time. Then suggests that the date on the EICR isn't the date he did the inspection. He claims somebody tampered with his work and asks me who looked at the house after him. He keeps asking me until I mention a name of some handyman and he jump on that name insisting he must have tampered with the box.
As he leaves, he promises me again that he will give me the EICR and asks for the old EICR photos. Two days later, I get a Message today saying that he cant get involved via WhatsApp.
It's very clear that he planned the whole thing as a reconnaissance mission to gather more info.

So I pass this information onto NAPIT, now they tell me:
"Unfortunately, we cannot proceed with the complaint as the contract for the work was between your landlord and our member. If you wished to pursue it further, you must communicate with your landlord and any complaint to us would have to come from them (as they had the contract with our member)."

Who do I go to? Thanks.

I’m afraid NAPIT will be right…. You have to go back to the landlord.

Can you photograph the exposed cables in your living room and post here? He cannot say it’s satisfactory on the promise it’ll get fixed.
Also photograph the fusebox and any surrounding equipment in one shot. And anything else you think may not be right.

Local council might be a good place to complain… they would have to give him a license to be a landlord. (Correct me if I’m wrong there…) and they won’t be happy if the tenant is in danger.

As Napit have, said the work was requested and paid for by the Landlord.
The electrician should not have made any offers to you regarding the work.
Your complaint is initially with the Landlord and never with the Landlords contractor.

As Littlespark above Local Authority (Council) is the way to go as they have responsibilities within the Landlord EICR legislation.

Part 3 in the Legislation
The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 - https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2020/9780111191934

I'd contact the Local Authority and also contact the Landlord and tell them that you have already contacted the L.A

I’m afraid NAPIT will be right…. You have to go back to the landlord.

Can you photograph the exposed cables in your living room and post here? He cannot say it’s satisfactory on the promise it’ll get fixed.
Also photograph the fusebox and any surrounding equipment in one shot. And anything else you think may not be right.

Local council might be a good place to complain… they would have to give him a license to be a landlord. (Correct me if I’m wrong there…) and they won’t be happy if the tenant is in danger.
Thanks for the reply. The landlord is not on speaking terms and is likely the one to blame for all this and so is unlikely to cooperate.

I have attached the two images. The before one shows what it looked like when the EICR was done. The after is what it looks like now that the council got involved and the landlord was forced to fix it in June 2022.

The Engineer came a few days ago and looked inside the fuse box and declared somebody had tampered with it. Nobody had. Here is a photo from the outside. The labels are also wrong. One says "garage" but the shed has no power connected to it....

Attachments

• Fraudulent EICR, who to contact? after - EletriciansForums.net
    after.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Fraudulent EICR, who to contact? before - EletriciansForums.net
    before.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Fraudulent EICR, who to contact? IMG_20220802_121214 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20220802_121214.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 97
I am hard put to see your issue. The wiring may not be the best but it is deemed safe. What are you complaining about exactly? So under ESPRS, the landlord must provide a copy of the EICR to the tenant. If you have not received that then take it up with your local council who are responsible for ensuring ESPRS is met by private landlords. Perhaps ask for Building Control and tell them you have not had a copy of the EICR. You might also explain any misgivings you have at the same time. By the way those cables are not exposed they are just poorly fixed. It seems this has been addressed though with the trunking, yes?

You could always try and persue a complaint through UKAS as they are the body that gives NAPIT it's accreditation to operate
There's always trading standards, they may to put some additional pressure on if needed. If you haven't already throw up the report with sensitivities redacted

By the way those cables are not exposed they are just poorly fixed. It seems this has been addressed though with the trunking, yes?
The wired were exposed in November when the EICRwas done. They were only fixed in June. I think the EICR is entirely manufactured between the electrician and the landlord.

The wired were exposed in November when the EICRwas done. They were only fixed in June. I think the EICR is entirely manufactured between the electrician and the landlord.
As already said, there is nothing wrong with having the cables exposed as such.

A bit of a carp job though, they should have either chased the wall and filled around the socket or used surface mount.

Unfortunately as you are finding, there is little to no practical oversight of the PRS scheme. It is the local authority who has the official oversight, rather than NAPIT, though they might have done more to address your concerns IMO.

Depending on your council, they may or may not be helpful - some of them have rental standards which they require every landlord to meet, others don't. Based on the finish around the socket, it may be that there are others non electrical issues that are also not up to standard? (Is that mould to the right hand wall?)

The pictures themselves don't look quite as dangerous as you think, though certainly the cables not being correctly clipped to the wall should have been noted on the EICR. Being exposed is not in itself an issue, if they are suitably secured.

If you can put a redacted copy of the EICR up, then it may be clearer whether it was a poorly done report, or something more obviously nefarious.

On a final note, based on the labels on the consumer unit, someone needs to buy that electrician a spirit level!

Unfortunately as you are finding, there is little to no practical oversight of the PRS scheme. It is the local authority who has the official oversight, rather than NAPIT, though they might have done more to address your concerns IMO.

Depending on your council, they may or may not be helpful - some of them have rental standards which they require every landlord to meet, others don't. Based on the finish around the socket, it may be that there are others non electrical issues that are also not up to standard? (Is that mould to the right hand wall?)

The pictures themselves don't look quite as dangerous as you think, though certainly the cables not being correctly clipped to the wall should have been noted on the EICR. Being exposed is not in itself an issue, if they are suitably secured.

If you can put a redacted copy of the EICR up, then it may be clearer whether it was a poorly done report, or something more obviously nefarious.

On a final note, based on the labels on the consumer unit, someone needs to buy that electrician a spirit level!
😂 I thought it was my eyes with the labelling on the consumer unit. 🧐

Poor things like that do get alarm bells ringing however I don’t think that means that the electrician is a fraud. The cables not secured don’t present immediate danger but need to be securely fixed I’m on the borderline of C2/C3 on this one due to the potential of cable being pulled easily and causing harm.
Hope you get issues resolved quickly keep us posted 👍

Reply to Fraudulent EICR, who to contact? in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock