Discuss Fused Spur feeding socket and a light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening all, I’m looking to install an outside light as a spur from a socket on a ring main. There is already a spur from this socket supplying another socket on the other side of the wall. My question is, where can I apply the fused spur? Do I need to connect the fused spur before current spur socket so the fuse supplies both the additional socket and the light on a 13a switch or can I add the fused spur supplying the light after the spur socket Would that count as more than one socket spurred? I’m not sure because it’s fused. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Evening all, I’m looking to install an outside light as a spur from a socket on a ring main. There is already a spur from this socket supplying another socket on the other side of the wall. My question is, where can I apply the fused spur? Do I need to connect the fused spur before current spur socket so the fuse supplies both the additional socket and the light on a 13a switch or can I add the fused spur supplying the light after the spur socket Would that count as more than one socket spurred? I’m not sure because it’s fused. Any guidance would be appreciated.
The 13 amp fused spur supplies the socket and also the 5amp spur to the light.

Thanks for your response. There isn’t a 5amp fused spur to the light. Can a 13amp fused spur supply both one light and one socket?
You can use a 5amp fused spur as a light switch

But what about the socket that’s already a spur there at the moment?
The fused 13 amp spur from the ring main can feed as many sockets as you like, as it can't be overloaded

The fused 13 amp spur from the ring main can feed as many sockets as you like, as it can't be overloaded
Ok. But what about feeding the light? Are you saying I need two fused spurs? One for the socket and one for the light? Surely then as I’m only feeding one socket, I don’t need one but just for the light?

Ok. But what about feeding the light? Are you saying I need two fused spurs? One for the socket and one for the light? Surely then as I’m only feeding one socket, I don’t need one but just for the light?
Yes, one to feed the socket and one to feed the light.

Or you could wire the socket as part of the ring and then fuse spur to the light.
Or you could use a 5 amp plug to feed the light.

Yes, one to feed the socket and one to feed the light.

Or you could wire the socket as part of the ring and then fuse spur to the light.
Or you could use a 5 amp plug to feed the light.
I’ll see what I can do tomorrow and report back. The sockets are back to back so it might be possible to just extend the ring main

Extending the ring is best idea.

Gets a little crowded having 4 sets of cables at one point…. Ie, 2 off the ring, spur to socket, spur to light…

Reply to Fused Spur feeding socket and a light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net