Discuss Garage CU for domestic installer assessment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gsxr

Hellow all
I have a cu to change in a garage and a rewire in it as well heres what i have and what i plan to do for a major for assessment to domestic installer.
At the moment :-
From house cu on 32A mcb on rcd side 10mm t/e to kitchen into a 63A non rcd cu 32A mcb feeding cooker and 16A feeding via 2.5mm t/e the garage cu from kitchen cu its run 12ft indoors then goes outdoors on centanry wire 21ft into garage feeding an old metal cu with ceramic fuses supplying 2 lights and 2 dbl sockets.
What i plan to do :-
Replace garage cu with new 40A rcd cu with 16A mcb for 4 dbl sockets and 6A mcb for the 2 lights.
Would i need to replace 2.5mm feeding cu or say its work in progress ? also any pointers/advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks for help.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Notifiable work to Building Control !

2. What type of earthing system is installed at the incoming supply to the property?

3. What type and rating is the main fuse?

4. Are there any Extraneous conductive parts in the garage....Pipes or other metallic parts in contact with the
general earth..floor..soil etc.?

5.What is the estimated loading of the garage circuits?

6.Does the wiring system require protection from damage?

7, will the accessories require protection from damage?

8.Do you propose to leave the existing connection at the house consumer unit on the RCD side?... if so what about
Fault discrimination with your new RCD in the Garage

9.What condition is the existing t& E .in?

10. What height is the catenary wire installed at?

Im sure i could think of other items to consider if i put my mind to it ..but i think thats enough for you to be going on
with for now...................Hope its of some help to you !

Regards...................................spark1

1. Notifiable work to Building Control !

2. What type of earthing system is installed at the incoming supply to the property? tns

3. What type and rating is the main fuse? 100A

4. Are there any Extraneous conductive parts in the garage....Pipes or other metallic parts in contact with the
general earth..floor..soil etc.? no

5.What is the estimated loading of the garage circuits? 4xdbl sockets 1 with small freezer other just for lawnmower/tools etc lighting 2x60w lights.

6.Does the wiring system require protection from damage? no in trunking.

7, will the accessories require protection from damage? no.

8.Do you propose to leave the existing connection at the house consumer unit on the RCD side?... if so what about
Fault discrimination with your new RCD in the Garage plan to put cooker on own circuit and put garage feed on non rcd side.

9.What condition is the existing t& E .in? good only a yr old.

10. What height is the catenary wire installed at? will be moved to 3.5 mtrs as per bs7671 2008.

Im sure i could think of other items to consider if i put my mind to it ..but i think thats enough for you to be going on
with for now...................Hope its of some help to you !

Regards...................................spark1

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to Garage CU for domestic installer assessment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock