Discuss Garden lighting issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Any help would by greatly appreciated as i have tried everything i possibly can. Heres some info on the situation, installed some spike lights a year or so ago. Couple of weeks ago they tripped so went round and found one of the wiska boxes to have been damage and water had gotten in. So replaced the box and sealed it with gel all was well for a little while then it started going again. So i have tried; Testing the RCD all good reading, Changing all the led bulbs incase one was faulty, replaced a couple of fittings that looked a little worn may have been hit by the gardener, Tested the armoured throughout the circuit and checked all joint boxes and lights for any water and nothing. The only strange thing i cant under is when i remove the LED's form the circuit and do an insulation test with the fittings in i get a down reading but they are only knightsbridge mains GU10 spike lights but the cable is brand new. Now they work for a couple of hours then trip? why would this be and not straight away...

Any help would be amazing.
Thanks in advance
Ryan

damage cable to the led light fittings from the wiska box .
start from one led to the second and from there .seek you will find it .the Knightsbridge are a sealed unit .possible faulty led .

Thinking about the two hours then the RCD trips suggest to me that something is heating up slowly and gets to a point that causes the RCD fault. I was thinking of water but heat makes more sense, maybe???

Corrosion on the connections that were wet perhaps? This could potentially give them a high resistance but not high enough to actually stop everything working straight off. The extra build up of heat over time could be causing your fault which disappears again when the cct is deenergised.

The Knightsbridge spike lights are terrible I fitted some last year and 3 out of 12 filled with water after a couple of weeks.
I replaced them with Ansell ones, far superior product.

The Knightsbridge spike lights are terrible I fitted some last year and 3 out of 12 filled with water after a couple of weeks.
I replaced them with Ansell ones, far superior product.

Down ?, well that means a short circuit, start at the beginning and check all connections, back to basics I am afraid.

Thinking about the two hours then the RCD trips suggest to me that something is heating up slowly and gets to a point that causes the RCD fault. I was thinking of water but heat makes more sense, maybe???
This was my thought as ive tested and changed all the bulbs possibly one of the connections could be slightly loose but they are all gel filled......

I can assure the OP that the problem is caused by the manufacturer sourcing the parts from the Far East and that the cables, marked up to be hno5 are certainly not to this grade.

I took apart a set of garden lights and in all cases the low ir was due to the cables attached to the lights

I took this up with Kensington technical a few months ago and they told me that they had lasted more than 1 year so not their problem.

Carp products, carp manufacturer .... won’t buy or install their garden lights now

I’ve got 8 year old hno5 installed and it’s never created a problem .....

As above, can almost guarantee the fittings are causing the problem. They are probably leaking water or the flex has gone bad as it's of such poor quality. Had this quite a few times in the past.

I now only fit quality ELV gear when doing outdoor lighting that is heavily exposed to the elements. Probably 20 separate jobs since I started doing this around 3 years ago and zero problems so far, other than one driver failure. Easily sorted in 5 minutes.

Hi all,

Any help would by greatly appreciated as i have tried everything i possibly can. Heres some info on the situation, installed some spike lights a year or so ago. Couple of weeks ago they tripped so went round and found one of the wiska boxes to have been damage and water had gotten in. So replaced the box and sealed it with gel all was well for a little while then it started going again. So i have tried; Testing the RCD all good reading, Changing all the led bulbs incase one was faulty, replaced a couple of fittings that looked a little worn may have been hit by the gardener, Tested the armoured throughout the circuit and checked all joint boxes and lights for any water and nothing. The only strange thing i cant under is when i remove the LED's form the circuit and do an insulation test with the fittings in i get a down reading but they are only knightsbridge mains GU10 spike lights but the cable is brand new. Now they work for a couple of hours then trip? why would this be and not straight away...

Any help would be amazing.
Thanks in advance
Ryan
Just had this exact problem… Knightsbridge spike lights, 3 years old, it’s the carp cable they are made with. it was below 1MOhm and would trip the RCD after about 2 minutes of being switched on. I re-flexed the lights in question and all test >500MOhm now.

Reply to Garden lighting issue in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock