Currently reading:
Gas & Water bonding

Discuss Gas & Water bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is there a reg that says you can not bond the water and gas using the same 10mm cable?

i.e. A piece of 10mm cable from the board to the water stop tap the from there to the gas meter about 2 foot away.

If you came accross this on a PIR what code would you give?

Cheers in advance.

Jay

You can bond it however you like but you need to take into accout the earthing system. It is generally agreed that seperate services earthed by the same conductor must be unbroken

As the other guys have said no problem as long as the earth has not been cut ,if it has been cut then i would code 2 , requires improvement , i know the other guys might say code 4 which you could also use

if it is not unbroken, could it not be re-terminated, unbroken at say , the water, and the piece to the gas thru crimped ?

Ok so basically it goes to the water tap on a clamp, then from the same clamp with another piece of 10mm to the gas clamp. This would be classed as broken? So as nick says, I will code 2 it as I cant find owt in the regs to say how it should be. But as you guys have said it needs to be one piece with only the sheeth cut.

Cheers

Jay

The reg you need is 528.3.3 p 109 have a read as it is not an obvious one.

The reg you need is 528.3.3 p 109 have a read as it is not an obvious one.

EEEEEHHHH????? Just read it and what a head scratcher:confused:. Cant see how this relates to the bonding though. It sounds like it relates to maybe a new mains board being installed close to gas &/or water services but not too close so that when gas/water services are being maintained or worked on that it does not damage the electrical mains board.
Or am I totally missing the point?:confused:

Jay

The reg no. is 411.3.1.2 pg. 46. But no mention of seperate bonds.

Im using a mains board as an example it could relate to and electrical service.

Last edited:
Any electrical service could be bond to gas and water which is connected to a non electrical service. My interpretation of the reg I stated is that if a plumber removes the water pipe and replaces in plastic then there is no disruption to the bond to the gas main or vice versa. I would be interested to hear others views on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree with sintra on that. can't see any other reason for it

I see where your coming from. They should have wrote it how you've explained it. How easy was that. Im gonna send a copy of the regs to Dr. Steven Hawkins and see if he understands it.:D I must say though, it is open to interprutation and can be missleading.

Cheers

Jay

Reply to Gas & Water bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock