Discuss Generator to breaker box 30 amp and 50 amp in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dreidel13

DIY
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I have the stuff to backfeed my generator through a 30amp breaker. I have the lockout kit that prevents both the breaker and main from being on at the same time. My question is this: My generator is strong enough to run a 50 amp and a 30 amp cord at the same time. Can I backfeed them both into the box at the same time? I would like to power all of my house and think it would if this is possible. I am not sure the 30 amp alone will do everything. The generator is 7500 running watts. I'll list my appliances needed to run below.
Navien tankless boiler for heat (2- pumps and three thermostats)
3/4hp water pump (well water)
Small chest freezer
Refrigerator
Double element water heater
Single element water heater
House lights (all led bulbs)

Extras:
Wi-fi, TV, Cable box, microwave, propane stove (electric lock)

Let me know what you think

Hey everyone.
I have the stuff to backfeed my generator through a 30amp breaker. I have the lockout kit that prevents both the breaker and main from being on at the same time. My question is this: My generator is strong enough to run a 50 amp and a 30 amp cord at the same time. Can I backfeed them both into the box at the same time? I would like to power all of my house and think it would if this is possible. I am not sure the 30 amp alone will do everything. The generator is 7500 running watts. I'll list my appliances needed to run below.
Navien tankless boiler for heat (2- pumps and three thermostats)
3/4hp water pump (well water)
Small chest freezer
Refrigerator
Double element water heater
Single element water heater
House lights (all led bulbs)

Extras:
Wi-fi, TV, Cable box, microwave, propane stove (electric lock)

Let me know what you think
Derdil13 I can tell you the you generator cannot run your whole house. The water heaters listed, the generator won’t be able to handle what you listed. I have a 10,000 watt generator 7500 running watts and I can’t run my heat, water heater, dryer or stove at the same time so I turn them breakers off. If you do it right and please don’t use a 30 amp and 50 amp cord and try to splice them together because you could get your phases crossed and ruin your generator. Just because you have a 30 and a 50 don’t mean you get 80 amps of power. You have a generator that’s Good for 7500 watts and that all you are going to get. Welcome to the forum and good luck

I figured it out yesterday. Generator will do just over 62 amps. I'm just going to put in a 50 amp. I had already bought some stuff for a 30 and I dont think I can return them, so I'll have to eat the cost on that.

I figured it out yesterday. Generator will do just over 62 amps. I'm just going to put in a 50 amp. I had already bought some stuff for a 30 and I dont think I can return them, so I'll have to eat the cost on that.
Well done my friend and if you ever need any help please come back

Hello, I have a similar problem, long story short had a 18K Generac stolen. The outside female plug is 50amp. I now have a Cummins/Onan dual fuel 9500K but just a 30amp 240 plug. Is there a way to plug the 30amp into the 50amp plug like a dog bone to back feed for the home. Just need to run bare essentials in the minimal lights, most LED, refer and small chest freezer.
thank you DL

Your generator can do 62 amps at 120 volts but most backfired plugs with lockouts are designed to feed 240 volts to the house, which is just 30 amps. Please verify how your backfeed plug is wired to the house and the expected input voltage with the electrician that put it in, remembering that if it really is some 120 volt input then you cannot ever run any 240 volt appliance or air conditioner. I strongly suspect it is 240 volts and you are already maxing your generator out with a single 30 amp plug set to 240.

I have a 9500 rate 12500 peak watt generator with a 50 amp 120/240 V plug and a 30 amp 120/240 V plug. Given the ratings I should be able to plug both the 50 amp plug and the 30 amp plug into separate transfer boxes. This should work because, assuming the 50 amp is fully loaded (almost never the case) the generator can still support 20 amps on the 30 amp plug with a surge power supporting an additional 20 amps. Now we all know we will need to keep everything properly loaded a likely distribute the 20 amps on the 30 amp plug to just lights and likely low power plugs. This assumes I only connect 120 V lines, no 220 V lines.

I have a 9500 rate 12500 peak watt generator with a 50 amp 120/240 V plug and a 30 amp 120/240 V plug. Given the ratings I should be able to plug both the 50 amp plug and the 30 amp plug into separate transfer boxes. This should work because, assuming the 50 amp is fully loaded (almost never the case) the generator can still support 20 amps on the 30 amp plug with a surge power supporting an additional 20 amps. Now we all know we will need to keep everything properly loaded a likely distribute the 20 amps on the 30 amp plug to just lights and likely low power plugs. This assumes I only connect 120 V lines, no 220 V lines.
My biggest worry about what you are wanting to do is cross the phases which will blow up

So with all these generator questions I'm still a little unclear. An electrician that quoted a surge protector told me that I could only back feed a 30amp line from a generator. I have a 200amp panel and the generator has both a 240v/30a output and a 240v/50a output. The generator is a 17500 watt generac.

I have a 9500 watt generator - trying to back feed panel through a 30 amp breaker. shut off all 220 appliances and main power.... when switching on breaker generator breaker kicks out. What is going on

I have a 9500 watt generator - trying to back feed panel through a 30 amp breaker. shut off all 220 appliances and main power.... when switching on breaker generator breaker kicks out. What is going on
Please be sure that your main is off and the cable from the generator has to have 4 wires with one of them being a ground. Have you unplugged your cable and see if it still trips ? The cable should be # 8 minimum

Is it okay to use a 50 amp breaker for back feed vs a 30 amp breaker? My gen produces 12K watts and I will use a 50 amp extension cord.

Break out the schematics for your generator at look what size the main breaker on it is, just because it has a 50 amp plug on it doesn't mean it's 50 amps nor will they actually put out 50 amps! As a matter of fact on most of the higher wattage portable generators the main breaker on them is only 35 amps, just because they have 50 amp plugs on them don't mean squat! Any generator that puts out over 30 amps is going to have a 50 amp plug on it, dont let yourself think that means your generator will actually put out 50 amps just because it has a 50 amp plug on it.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact here is the schematics of my Wen11000, it puts out 11000 starting watts and 8300 running watts yet the main breaker on it is only a double pole 35 amp like on most others that size, I use it to backfeed my panel when the power is out using an 8awg cable fed to a 35amp breaker in the panel that that's controlled by a manual interlock preventing it from feeding my panel unless the main breaker is off ..........

Attachments

• Generator to breaker box 30 amp and 50 amp Wen11000Schematic - EletriciansForums.net
    Wen11000Schematic.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
As a matter of fact here is the schematics of my Wen11000, it puts out 11000 starting watts and 8300 running watts yet the main breaker on it is only a double pole 35 amp like on most others that size, I use it to backfeed my panel when the power is out using an 8awg cable fed to a 35amp breaker in the panel that that's controlled by a manual interlock preventing it from feeding my panel unless the main breaker is off ..........

Came across your post searching for which to use. I’m running the WEN11000 and am trying to set up a manual transfer switch by (reliance) to my house. Even though it says 50 and 30amp on the generator, would you recommend using a 30 amp transfer switch or the 50amp. I’m confused on if I have to use the 50 because of the higher watts the generator puts out. Think 30amp switches rate for 7200-8k. Overloading either is a non issue as I’ll be only using a few things but I want to get the most out of the generator for the home for future use. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Reply to Generator to breaker box 30 amp and 50 amp in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock