Discuss Getting Electricity in Garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there

I am new to this forum, so apologies for my simplicity!

I live in a flat and would like to have electricity in my garage. The garage isnt directly adjacent to my flat (its a couple flats along).

Inside the garage there is some wiring, lights, mains plugs etc, but they havent worked since I moved in.

Is there any reason for why they are not working? And does this mean the foundations for electricity in the garage are there? What would i need to do?

Thanks!

Are you renting the flat or do you own it?
Does your CU have a breaker labelled 'garage'?

Are you renting the flat or do you own it?
Does your CU have a breaker labelled 'garage'?

Thanks for your response.

I own it, so Im guessing I can have electricity if I wanted to.

It doesnt say garage, but there are two of the switches where no ones written anything. If electricity for the garage wasnt coming from the CU, could it have been coming from elsewhere?

The main issue with flats and garages in blocks, is if and how you can run cables ...... the free holder will need to give concent in the majority of cases ....

Best you get the existing set up checked and tested .... shouldn’t take long, nor cost much ...

Thanks for your response.

I own it, so Im guessing I can have electricity if I wanted to.

It doesnt say garage, but there are two of the switches where no ones written anything. If electricity for the garage wasnt coming from the CU, could it have been coming from elsewhere?

It's hard to tell where the existing wire to your garage is wired from over a forum. As @Pete999 & @Murdoch have suggested, get an electrician in to test the circuit.

Reply to Getting Electricity in Garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net