Discuss Ground Floor Bathroom Extractor Fan Query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. My current axial Xpelair model 92614AW ground floor bathroom extractor fan is installed in zone 1 and doesnt work efficiently at all. Its wall mounted but doesnt go straight to the outside as there is now an extension on the back of the bathroom. I think either I need to get a more powerful fan (going by Google search of data sheet, looks like the max air flow is 76 m3/h) or due to ducting I believe to be over 1.5m, I require centrifugal fan.

So I have some questions regarding this - should I try a more powerful axial IP65 fan wall mounted, or should I try to make this centrifugal and be mounted on ceiling (dont particularly want a big unit on the wall). If I went to mount this on ceiling, can existing ducting be extended? The wall in bathroom sticks out slightly so I think I can take duct this route if need be. Finally, And are there any regulations for this being installed on ground floor in first floor void, apart from adequate access being available?

Thanks

A 230/240 volt fan should not be in Zone 1

How is it vented now?

Ducting in a first floor void is acceptable if it is not a separate dwelling above.

Have a look here: Airflow iCON 30 Low Profile Extractor Fan - White | Aidelle_Airflow (72591601) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ADICON30.html

I'd like you to show me the regulations where it states a 230/240 volt fan cannot be installed in Zone 1.

Ventilation equipment are one of the few items that are explicitly listed as being allowed in zone 1 (701.55 Current-using Equipment), with the caveat that they are suitable for installation in said zone according to the manufacturer.

I did not say it was a regulation, just a pretty stupid thing to do IMO, and now we will go down the "some installations" yada yada yada.

Anyone going to give the OP some positive feed back instead of the usual guff.

I did not say it was a regulation, just a pretty stupid thing to do IMO, and now we will go down the "some installations" yada yada yada.
You say it should not be in zone 1 so can you back this up aside from 'It is a stupid thing to do'.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Napit assessor asked me about a fan I’d installed on a recent rewire. I said it was ok for zone 1, as per manufacturer’s guidance, and no more questions asked.

Last edited:

Anyone going to give the OP some positive feed back instead of the usual guff.

The point is that people come here for advice. It's important that the advice we give them is accurate. You made a statement implying that a low voltage (230v) fan should not be in zone 1. This is factually incorrect and is thus duff advice that could cause complications for the OP.

With regards to the OP's questions, no I have no feedback to provide because I don't feel qualified to comment. I have a few things I might try if it were my property, but it's not and so I'm not going to muddy the water with speculative suggestions that may or may not work.

Going back to the original question...
If tight for space you might be able to fit an 100mm to flat ducting adaptor in:

1672480363052.png

Alternatively it might be better to start again with a new ceiling mounted vent above the bath/shower and fill in the old hole.
If you need more power the Manrose MF100T inline fan is very good.
In general ducting can be extended, though I'm not following how this applies if the original through-wall-to-outside option is now gone because of the extension.

In general ducting can be extended, though I'm not following how this applies if the original through-wall-to-outside option is now gone because of the extension.

@lmike19 ,

I think this is where some of us might be struggling... a diagram or clearer explanation of the existing arrangements may help clarify things.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm happy to install 230V in zone 1 as per manufacturer's instructions.

Existing installation is wall mounted, and ducting travels horizontal and then vertically up to the roof of the extension. I can see the steam coming out from extension roof when fan is operating/shower is on, so maybe just need more powerful axial fan? There is no window in bathroom anymore but there is a good gap beneath door.

Reply to Ground Floor Bathroom Extractor Fan Query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net