Discuss Has this consumer unit been installed correctly? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just pulled up the floorboard to see this... not sure if this is ok.

20190516_134913.jpg

Sounds a bit cheap to me, but not ridiculously so.

Hmmmm. I’ve just come across a CU much worse than this on an EICR. It’s a new customer so I quoted £400 for a new consumer unit, new bonding, a couple of hours of other remedial work. The £400 fee included the EICR which took much of a day. He’s knocked me back - saying I should do it all for £350.
Stalemate because I’ve already done the EICR. My bad. Lessons learnt. He hasn’t got his ‘Satisfactory’ EICR and I’m out of pocket - but that’s another story.

My point is that my ‘customer’ (the landlord by the way), has, I suspect, paid a very low amount for a rewire and CU only a few years ago (harmonised colours). The work is appalling. He called me in when he realised there was no earthing or certs. He went for the lowest quote and got John Wayne. I did think it might have been done by a competent electrician who just got fed up with haggling and walked off the job. I doubt it though, because it was done so badly - we are obliged to leave everything in a safe state no matter which way the customer relations is going.

Back to this post - I would do this job for £500, properly, and be happy.

No excuse for the amount of copper showing at every connection. Crazy - and it makes me wonder if everything is tight and whether prongs of busbars are on the right side of MCB clamps etc. Just does not inspire confidence.

Not tried those yet. Recommended?
brilliant. that's a 3 way splitter, up to 1.5mm but they're working on a 2.5mm version. the other one is a feed in, switch line, and load out for light switching. beauty of them is , no earth sleeving, just strip and push in.

brilliant. that's a 3 way splitter, up to 1.5mm but they're working on a 2.5mm version. the other one is a feed in, switch line, and load out for light switching. beauty of them is , no earth sleeving, just strip and push in.

Can they be taken off and re-used ?

You can just pull them back out with your hands quite easily, in fact as easily as using the extraction tool. Thay are brilliant and do a switch wire version. Literally 30 secs and you have done a switch wire MF junction which is small enough to push into the average hole left by a ceiling rose.

Good neat board, never fitted a single phase Schneider board but just noticed the neutral is on the left. Have you got a pick without bus bar cover on? Just out of interest
Thank you. No pic without the cover but is a weird set-up as the busbars from the bottom of the main switch cross over each other, seems a bizarre thing to do.

Those BG boards are currently for sale at screw fix, fully populated with 5 double sockets... £60...

I can’t get my head round why these numpties do such poor work..
To do the job in that haphazard manner must take 5 times longer than methodically dressing everything in prim n proper

Reply to Has this consumer unit been installed correctly? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net