Discuss Having issues with this wiring set up that is in an older house. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 2 gang box in my dining room one of them is part of a three way switch to the main light. I also have three recessed lights in that room that I was trying to run to the other switch. With all of that going on I realized the switch also had more wires all tied in together. I removed a light fixture and was going to use the switch to power the new recessed lights rather than the old wall fixture I removed. I ran wire to the switch and attempted to tie in with the rest of the lights but it didn’t work. I hooked up the power in lines as well as the light wires with neutrals together and the recessed lights worked great. But here’s the kicker. The wires I didn’t hook up all power my living room with 6 outlets and two other switches. And that means no tv no WiFi and my ole lady isn’t too happy with me and I’d really like to get this fixed before she wakes up if that’s even possible. I messed up somewhere. I thought I had it all good when I hooked everything up the way it was and thought maybe the hot outlet I had had something swapped but it was hooked up exactly the same way the one I replaced was. I drew out some diagrams on paint to illustrate my situation unsure what I’m doing wrong here please help in anyway you can. Feeing a little overwhelmed and not too sure what to do now

Attachments

• 83A134D2-9719-4918-990E-29863C353EA2.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E55DB0E5-E850-4EFE-B0C5-A457A64085A5.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 8
I have a 2 gang box in my dining room one of them is part of a three way switch to the main light. I also have three recessed lights in that room that I was trying to run to the other switch. With all of that going on I realized the switch also had more wires all tied in together. I removed a light fixture and was going to use the switch to power the new recessed lights rather than the old wall fixture I removed. I ran wire to the switch and attempted to tie in with the rest of the lights but it didn’t work. I hooked up the power in lines as well as the light wires with neutrals together and the recessed lights worked great. But here’s the kicker. The wires I didn’t hook up all power my living room with 6 outlets and two other switches. And that means no tv no WiFi and my ole lady isn’t too happy with me and I’d really like to get this fixed before she wakes up if that’s even possible. I messed up somewhere. I thought I had it all good when I hooked everything up the way it was and thought maybe the hot outlet I had had something swapped but it was hooked up exactly the same way the one I replaced was. I drew out some diagrams on paint to illustrate my situation unsure what I’m doing wrong here please help in anyway you can. Feeing a little overwhelmed and not too sure what to do now
You made the comment that the wires you didn’t hook up which is probably the problem

Reply to Having issues with this wiring set up that is in an older house. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net