Discuss Head-scratcher in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Doing an EICR that’s ‘interesting’.... found this. Installed by a solar outfit, it’s the first thing in circuit after the supply meter, feeds back into a pair of Henley’s doing the rest of the mess. L & N terminals are wired incorrectly - can anyone think of a legit reason for doing this this way? And so no... there’s also no protection to it or means of isolation.
E21D4918-E0FC-4AA6-98C4-E229A3AD71FB.jpeg

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking it should be L in and N in at the top?
Are the colours right? 2 Lives at top and 2 neutrals bottom.

I’m surprised it’s working at all.

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Am I right in thinking it should be L in and N in at the top?
Are the colours right? 2 Lives at top and 2 neutrals bottom.

I’m surprised it’s working at all.
The conductors themselves are correct - those are two neutrals etc, but it should be L/N top and L/N bottom (I checked online). So A) I'm not entirely sure exactly what it's been measuring anyway and B) the entire mess of an installation is in some way passing through it. When I get a minute I'll draw out and post the circuit.

The customer said to me (his words, not mine so please don't think me abrasive....) "It was a Polish sparks, at the end of a day, in a hurry to leave". Country of origin is irrelevant, but the rest I can absolutely see!!

Vortigern

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The terminals are correct it is NN one end and LL the other end. Just fitted one of them.

Attachments

• SDM230D_Series_Manual.pdf
    205.6 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: DPG

DPG

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I don't like how those thin signal wires are so close to live terminals without any restraint.

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I looked up the wrong one, then.

Attachments

• Eastron SDM230-MOD-MID v2_User-Manual-pdf Compressed Version.pdf
    525.8 KB · Views: 12

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like how those thin signal wires are so close to live terminals without any restraint.
Very much so.
Normally there would be plastic shrouds over the main terminals of a billing style of meter, not sure if this one is different in some (dumb) way for protection.

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow...... that's a confusingly close error to make between the two almost identical units! One is as Vortigern says - LL, NN and the other is LN, LN.

Reply to Head-scratcher in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.