Discuss Heating electric controls running hot/ burning, oil heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all Happy Christmas to you and yours.

I need some expert advice

I made the temporary leap to a off grid Mobile home a few months ago while I build my house.

All works ok, generator during the day and batteries and a 1 to 2 kw 220v inverter at night.

However, there is a slight problem, I am using an oil boiler out side for heat. Something is burning/melting a hole in the control panel? It's going on for months, don't think it's hot all the time bit can't be sure. Is the wiring wrong or what can be causing this? It's already killed one control panel. A worrying site to me. Possible problem s would be helpful. A newly qualified electrician did this install. Thank you all.
16407776796038863852889386318750.jpg16407777306913023846988231397464.jpg16407777672933888404004021272884.jpg
16407773389094316710542975072725.jpg

It looks as though that controller is wired to control hot water too, how is the water heated in this mobile home?
If that's the 2nd controller this has happened to, then it points to either the load(s) it's switching being faulty or the load being higher than the controller is rated to switch.
What is the rated power of the oil boiler? And to repeat is the oil boiler heating hot water too or is that a different system?

It looks as though that controller is wired to control hot water too, how is the water heated in this mobile home?
If that's the 2nd controller this has happened to, then it points to either the load(s) it's switching being faulty or the load being higher than the controller is rated to switch.
What is the rated power of the oil boiler? And to repeat is the oil boiler heating hot water too or is that a different system?
Thank you for replying, Well spotted, there's two motorised switches, see pic, do you mean the power rating for the oil boiler? It heats a water cylinder, not electric cylinder.

Attachments

• 16407805927395442930920464465814.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 14

Attachments

• 16407808648781639333125290947647.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 12
It could be overloading the relays/contacts/pcb tracks, or it could be that the power supply in the controller doesn't like the waveform from your inverters (or generator), assuming that's what it is running from?
I'd be inclined to take the cover off the controller, and see what's overheating - that might give a clue to what's going on.
A photo of what's getting hot might help🤔

Last edited:
It could be overloading the relays/contacts/pcb tracks, or it could be that the power supply in the controller doesn't like the waveform from your inverters (or generator), assuming that's what it is running from?
I'd be inclined to take the cover off the controller, and see what's overheating - that might give a clue to what's going on.
A photo of what's getting hot might help🤔
16407857586204624809987732303983.jpg
Cover off, board looks intact. Will try a close up.

Wha
That’s a good shout from @Avo Mk8 - are the inverters modified sine wave or pure sine wave.
It does look as if that resistor is cooking.

That’s a good shout from @Avo Mk8 - are the inverters modified sine wave or pure sine wave.
It does look as if that resistor is cooking.
I can't tell, when I was looking for an invertor I struggled to find one at all that wasn't 1000s , which sine wave is preferred? I do need to change the inverter, its not powerful enough. If I get another what type of sine wave do I need for this Heating application?

Looks heated/burnt under screw
I think it's those two resistors overheating. The pcb colour is probably as a result.
We seem to be in the mains/psu area judging from that big capacitor.
Without a circuit diagram difficult to know what's happening - no doubt Lucien would have some words of wisdom.

I stick with my "it doesn't like your generator/inverter supply" theory.

You could see if it only get hot at night (inverter) or only gets hot daytime (generator)?

What you need is one or two good old fashioned synchronous motor driven time clocks instead 🤣

To be serious - synchronous motor timers are still available, eg
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/horstmann-425-tiara-programmer/18470
But accuracy of clock dependent on frequency of your inverter/generator. May not be a problem

Last edited:
Wha

I can't tell, when I was looking for an invertor I struggled to find one at all that wasn't 1000s , which sine wave is preferred? I do need to change the inverter, its not powerful enough. If I get another what type of sine wave do I need for this Heating application?
Modified Sine Wave inverters are cheaper but the waveform is different to that of ‘normal’ mains electricity. There are known problems with MSW inverters causing some power supplies to overheat.
You will pay a lot more for a pure sine wave inverter but that is likely the solution.
Alternatively finding a 2nd hand Sangamo mechanical time switch is potentially also a viable solution.
E.g.

Cooked the underside of the cover, what is this problem, thanks guys, off-grid is no joke :)
The information on your specific SWINV1000 inverter includes the following:

*Important Information: *

Our modified sine wave inverters are suitable for general requirement for use inside vehicles, boats, caravans and boats. They are suitable for:

• powering laptops • phone chargers • tablets & games consoles • heater element devices such as kettles • vacuum cleaners • water pumps • Lower wattage home appliances – toaster, kettles, irons, electric hobs.
• Lighting (non ballast) • Many power tools

Our modified sine wave inverters are not suitable / recommended for:

• Solar installations • Medical equipment, such as CPAP machines with humidifiers • Power tools running on AC motor and variable speed control and cordless tool battery chargers. • Some Newer TV’s – refer to manufacturer guide. • Items with digital clocks and electric timers including washing machines and bread makers. • Devices that use thyristors like laser printers and photocopiers • Fluorescent lights • Audio Equipment, satellite systems and video equipment • High power items which use an AC motor such as larger fridges, microwaves and compressors.

I think it's those two resistors overheating. The pcb colour is probably as a result.
We seem to be in the mains/psu area judging from that big capacitor.
Without a circuit diagram difficult to know what's happening - no doubt Lucien would have some words of wisdom.

I stick with my "it doesn't like your generator/inverter supply" theory.

You could see if it only get hot at night (inverter) or only gets hot daytime (generator)?

What you need is one or two good old fashioned synchronous motor driven time clocks instead 🤣

To be serious - synchronous motor timers are still available, eg
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/horstmann-425-tiara-programmer/18470
But accuracy of clock dependent on frequency of your inverter/generator. May not be a problem
Thank you and everyone else, just have the heat on now off the generator, no heat off it, I need to change the inverter but it'll probably be the same. Will the mechanical one still work with the hot water the accuracy of clock is not so much of an issue, hard to have constant power, the change over switch is manually operated by my wife and I. Tend to have the heat on a lot. The plumber did a great job, everyone here helped me understand my power plan and I've adapted accordingly, ps the washer and drier is at my parents house :)

Fortunately, your plumber has connected up the system as a 'S' plan, rather than a 'Y' plan, so all you need is two simple time switches, one for the water, and one for the heating.
These could even be cheap plug in timers, since this is only a temporary installation. The current switching requirements are very low, so there shouldn't be a problem with the switch contacts overheating.

Fortunately, your plumber has connected up the system as a 'S' plan, rather than a 'Y' plan, so all you need is two simple time switches, one for the water, and one for the heating.
These could even be cheap plug in timers, since this is only a temporary installation. The current switching requirements are very low, so there shouldn't be a problem with the switch contacts overheating.
Hi thanks, so you mean the electric valve switches are not needed? Or just the Electronic control box needs to go, the easiest for me would be to get the mechanical version as all the wiring is done already ? Just tested over 4 hours on generator, no heat on panel, that must mean the problem is the Invertor output as correctly identified by you smart folks is the culprit.

The two electric valves have to stay. One controls the flow through the cylinder and the other the flow through the radiators. Both have a switch that controls the boiler and pump.
The valves have a manual lever on them, which you push across and drop into a notch. These can be used to operate the heating and hot water with no switches at all.
That resistor in the controller is designed to run warm (it's a large version of a resistor, and is situated by a vent in the case), and its likely purpose is to drop the 230V supply to 5 or 12V for the electronics.
I don't know exactly why it doesn't like your invertor, but the invertor seems to be the problem.

The two electric valves have to stay. One controls the flow through the cylinder and the other the flow through the radiators. Both have a switch that controls the boiler and pump.
The valves have a manual lever on them, which you push across and drop into a notch. These can be used to operate the heating and hot water with no switches at all.
That resistor in the controller is designed to run warm (it's a large version of a resistor, and is situated by a vent in the case), and its likely purpose is to drop the 230V supply to 5 or 12V for the electronics.
I don't know exactly why it doesn't like your invertor, but the invertor seems to be the prob

I don't know exactly why it doesn't like your invertor, but the invertor seems to be the problem.
Would the mechanical clock/control s solve the problem?

I understand what you are saying about manual operation, I saw that switch myself :) but how would we turn on the heating with the digital panel gone, just use the main power switch?

Thank you very much !!

Reply to Heating electric controls running hot/ burning, oil heating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net