Discuss Help needed re-wiring my garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nah I'll manage
After years fighting for my country for the likes of you I'd rather try myself with proper advice . No boom boom boom yet
And what have you done for your country
Fitted a few plugs ?
I think you are rather letting yourself down with such comments. It is quite obvious that you have very little experience and should entrust the work you are attempting to people who know what they are doing, this is a matter of you and OTHER PEOPLES safety you are playing around with. If you think being an electrician is just fitting a few plugs then there is not much further to be said really.

OP, you'll always get a bit of banter on a forum. this one is mild compared with some. just ignore it. and bear in mind that sparksburnout comes from notts., where they've only recently stopped wearing green and living in sherwood forest. :(
Eh up youth! i've just got myself a nice new green fleece from Sneinton market and I'm going to centre parks in some nice little ouse for a couple o days next week in it.
And I'm going in me ode car not wi a free bus pass an-all

Hi Gary - have you thought about testing, certification and your Local Building Control? Just as if you were to build an extension on your house, the new CU you've put in and the associated new ccts probably need a building approval. If you did get a registered Spark involved you would do the installation as an instructed person and they could supervise, test and get approval for you. And in case you feel in doubt - I thank you for your service. Regards, David.

I knew where this was leading so have been just watching the Posts. This isn't a criticism of the op but shows how weak the implementation of Part P has been.

Ok to get back to getting some advice
The following pics are the electrics In The shed. Which I have taken out . Which I did not install they came with the shed .as you can see they are a total state .
I have put the cable into a new cu (with gland )
Will take pics tomorrow . Then hopefully I will get some correct advice . As I'm sure you will agree from the pictures that it is in a shocking state .

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

I knew where this was leading so have been just watching the Posts. This isn't a criticism of the op but shows how weak the implementation of Part P has been.
You have lost me Westie whats part P got to do with it? The OP's profile doesn't say "part P" (whatever that might be) it says "none" in the quals column.

You have lost me Westie whats part P got to do with it? The OP's profile doesn't say "part P" (whatever that might be) it says "none" in the quals column.
You don't think this is notifiable Works? The intention of the farcical Part P was to stop electrical works by not suitably qualified persons.

You don't think this is notifiable Works? The intention of the farcical Part P was to stop electrical works by not suitably qualified persons.
Yes obviously it's notifiable. Part P is not suggesting the OP in question is capable or legally allowed to undertake this work though is it? Like I said, the simple solution is to for the OP to stop messing about and get an electrician in to do the work.

Yes obviously it's notifiable. Part P is not suggesting the OP in question is capable or legally allowed to undertake this work though is it? Like I said, the simple solution is to for the OP to stop messing about and get an electrician in to do the work.
Think there's a double negative in there :)

My entire point was the farce which Part P is, why you said "what's it got to do with part p" I have no idea. Yes I saw your earlier Post which is quite correct.

My entire point was the farce which Part P is, why you said "what's it got to do with part p" I have no idea. Yes I saw your earlier Post which is quite correct.
No me neither its getting late. I was missing your point which was obviously strengthening my view that the OP should not be mucking about with it in the first place. Also a bit worried about that chain..

I stopped posting after getting tipsy at night a while back, it can get you into trouble;
Well, its his own fault. She looks just as grotty in the wedding picture, apart from the fly on her chin. Talk about things you shouldn't be mucking about with.......

I thought this forum was for trained / experienced sparks ? Been a away for a few years.Are you letting DIY'ers in now?
All electrical level questions are permitted on the forum, it is up to members whether they wish to respond.
In some cases the poster may be undertaking dangerous work and in that case the post should be reported.
In many cases the work is of a minor nature and it is better to let someone know how it should be done as they are going to do it anyway and at least it should be as safe as possible, without testing or competence.
If someone is ignoring safety advice that is given correctly then it is best to just refrain from posting.

There is a DIY section, perhaps something like this should be in there. Then as an 'competent electrician', if you don't feel inclined, you wouldn't venture into that section.

I do take Westwards point. 'Part P' was introduced making it 'a legal requirement for all work on fixed electrical installations in dwellings and associated buildings to comply with relevant standards (IET).
Without training, knowledge, expertise and appropriate equipment, I can't see how anyone can comply with these standards.

Not wishing to have a go at our OP, but asking such a simple question, brings into question his abilities to safely carry out such work. There's a fine line between what constitutes helping people, to putting them jeopardy. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Just my opinion.

Reply to Help needed re-wiring my garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net