Discuss Help needed with 3 phase! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dnsltd

I bought into a sunbed business last year, for my partner and the electrics are a shower of ****e....there isa problem with the ampageanddespite the fact the shop does need a larger supply, we can run approx 80% on what we have....which at the moment is a better option than paying e-on loads of cash to upgrade the supply.
Anyway, the shop below us (where the meter is - which we own) is not ours, and access is a nightmare. Can we request the meter to be relocated FOC into our premises?

Bear with me now, as i am being explained the following via phone....
There is a main isolator from the incoming mains. Then the meter. Then a 2nd isolator, contating three fuses (3 phase obv) all rated @ 30A :confused:. This has been bul****ted / bodged to 90A via 3 x 30A fusewires...nice! then off we go into our premises and a 3 phase board.

The 2nd isolator has rotted / burnt away over time (Obv the connections we're rating at less than the fuse wire!) so we now have a phase down. I am planning on replacing the isolator, then installing a 2nd in line in our shop so any future issues can be resolved inhouse. What i need to know asap is what cable will be feeding the burnt isolator if they were 30A fuses (16mm meter tails?)? Why is the board trip's not isolating firstly? I appreciate this is as difficult for you to answer as it is for you to understand!

The shop is 3 hrs from me so it's not a matter of poppingto see for myself!

Any help appreciated!

Craig

I'd agree, but trouble is bank holiday, and all that! I need to drive up there now and see what's going on and sort it if possible. Unless tehre's any sparks in Mansfield who fancy some work for a fair price!

Hi ,
I think you first course of action should be to replace the defective fittings first ,even if only as a tempory measure ,then with a sensable load applied at least the place shouldnt burn down!
then you can investigate how to upgrade to accomodate your sumbeds ,also if the public are using the premisis ,i would consider closing untill the remedial work is done at least

im not trying to be negative ,but it does sound like a accident waiting to happen
all the best with it

All sorted now :) 2 x new isolator's, and was has been installed in our shop so the first thing to trip will be on our premises.
One thing i don't understand though. Is when we overpower the incoming supply (Which i am told is 74kvA (Our 5 beds use 72kvA apparently when all in full use)) it blows the 100A incoming fuses, rather than trip the breakers which are rated at 25A (3 ph). Why is that??

Cheers

All sorted now :) 2 x new isolator's, and was has been installed in our shop so the first thing to trip will be on our premises.
One thing i don't understand though. Is when we overpower the incoming supply (Which i am told is 74kvA (Our 5 beds use 72kvA apparently when all in full use)) it blows the 100A incoming fuses, rather than trip the breakers which are rated at 25A (3 ph). Why is that??

Cheers

IT might not be a problem ,now the defective isolators are replaced ,with a phase down and burnt out connections all sort of strange things happen:eek:

are the are the sunbeds single phase ,if they are it might be worth asking your sparks to test the power factor ,and dont turn them all on in one go from the main isolator ,the inrush will affect the supply fuses not the 32a ones ,maybee thats what happened

#Glad you took the advise and got it done quick
all the best with it all:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Help needed with 3 phase! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock