Discuss Help with landlords/communal lighting building regs etc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Colin Integrale

Afternoon all, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this...

Basically I've got a bit of a problem with the ground rent on our flat.

Barratts started the build about 4 years ago now, and we've been in here 3 years this December..

So...

The lights in the stairways, halls etc have no means of switching, well only the breaker in the landlords cupboard.
They've basically been on constant since completion, 3 years back.

Someone came in about 6 months back and put the ground and first floor on PIRs, which is a start, but I was wondering if there was some sort of Regulation which says this has to be done.

There's nothing in Part P, and I glanced through Part L (conservation of fuel and power) and could see nothing there either... Probably in vein as it's dated 2009 anyway...:rolleyes:
Also, I didn't think the 16th would have anything like that in it.

It just seems so bloody stupid and wasteful so I want to try and do something about it..

The last bill we got that was broken down into bits and pieces said predicted power was £1100, and actual power came to about £3500

hmmmmmm.

I just wanted something to hit the maintenance people with so that bills for work etc won't come back to us.

Any help would be greatly appreciated boys and gals.

Cheers

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont HAVE to get your electricity through the factor your DNO should be able to give you power cheaper than factor taking his/her cut they may also have a special tarrif for comunal stair lighting Maintaining the lighting your self will save you a fortune as if you ring them say a light is out they pay contractor and double the bill befor passing it to you

I'd happily change a 2D lamp in a fitting for nothing, but putting what is essentially maintained emergency light fittings on to PIR's for a block of 81 flats is another matter.

Also, you say the ground rent people stick a % on top of the actual electricity bill?

Also, you say the ground rent people stick a % on top of the actual electricity bill?[/QUOTE]

Of course, they call it a handling charge. You didn't expect them to do it for nothing now did you?

Reply to Help with landlords/communal lighting building regs etc in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net