Discuss hidden conduit question in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aldo

must start by sayin am not too familiar with th forum...is there anythin in 17th that mentions the need to use steel conduit when the socket is at the other side of a wall of a classroom say...unless it is within 150mm from corner of a room, cornice or boxed in steel column etc
???????

If its less than 50 mm deep in the wall, or run outside of the safe areas (150mm from ceiling/wall corners) or is not run horizontally or vertically to a visible outlet, then the cable needs mechanical protection, i.e steel capping or conduit to prevent accidental damage or penetration from nails etc.
Hope this helps.
Randyrat

My mistake....of course I meant earthed steel trunking, or conduit, or armour sheathing (earthed).
Better to keep in the permitted zones....innit?
Randyrat

I'm not a fan of the Zones - they only work if everybody who is ever going to penetrate the wall knows about them.
Totally agree, seems to me there is too much crap in the regs and not enough to back it up. yeah fine we follow the regs and use the safety zones where practically possible, but how the hell does joe blogs know about them!!

obveriously common sense comes into it (i.e right above a light switch), but they have no clue about 150mm from celling or corner of walls.

The line has to be drawn somewhere with regard to zones.

However, it would make more sense to only allow cables (above 6A) to be installed from the floor up. Easily done, a little more expensive (with regard to solid floors), but lets face it, a lot safer.

But, why not insist on having a kind of instruction manual for a house explaining how cables are run for eg. the 150 rule?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanx all.....do you know if this is a new ammendment or has the 150 mm rule been around a while

My reading of the 150 and permitted zones rules is that if we keep to these then we have a defence in a court as these are laid down by iee oir iet or whatever they call themselves. If an eejit wants to drill into a wall we can't be there every time to look after them. We can only do so much. If I'd wanted to be a superhero I'd have gone to SuperHero School.

i think the 150mm along the top of the wall and in the corner is more considered a safe zone for the likelihood that any person would require fixings this close to the ceilings or internal corners, as for the straight up, down and across coverage people have to rely on their own common senses

although the 17th edition considers that common sense will not always prevail, resulting in the 50mm deep & RCD rulings

Reply to hidden conduit question in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock