Discuss High and Low Voltage Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently had my flat rewired and requested that all wires be chased into the walls. Because my walls are made of a very hard brick and to save on mess and noise, some of the power cables for plug sockets were run along the bottom surface of the walls, to be hidden by skirting boards.

As well as have all the electrics replaced, I took the opportunity to have a network installed and data cables were run with the power cables along the bottom of the wall. In some places the data cables are cable tied to the power cables.

Before I put new skirting boards in, I was going to put in speaker cable as well so, that I can have 7.1 sound in the living room.

In researching this, I have been told that I cannot put low voltage speaker cable next to high voltage power cables but, if that’s true then how come it’s ok to have the data cables in there?

I’ve no reason to think that my electrician has done a dodgy job. He has given me an EIC installation certificate and he has even asked me if he could use my property for his annual EIC check. The man from EIC came round and signed off his work with no issues.

So, can I put my speaker cables in there or not?

Thanks

Data cables should not be installed with low voltage cables unless they are insulated to the highest voltage present which is not likely.
It should be noted the mains wiring in your house is deemed low voltage and not high voltage.

Last edited:
Oh, and power cables behind skirting board is not permitted. Not unless the sockets are actually ON the skirting.

Data cables should not be installed with low voltage cables unless they are insulated to the highest voltage present which is not likely.
It should be noted the mains wiring in your house is deemed low voltage and not high voltage.

Did you mean to write:

Data cables should not be installed with HIGH voltage cables

because I thought data cables were low voltage?
[automerge]1567679188[/automerge]
Oh, and power cables behind skirting board is not permitted. Not unless the sockets are actually ON the skirting.

Why not?

And if it isn't allowed, why was it signed off as ok?

Low voltage in the UK ignoring DC voltages is between 50 and 1000v. High voltage is anything above this.
Extra-Low voltage is not exceeding 50v AC or 120v ripple-free DC.
What you have is LV and ELV.

Google safe zones for cables, that should give you an idea of the problem. If the skirting has not yet been fitted then you could try Skirting trunking this will keep all your cables separate but must have the sockets fitted into them.

If you can hide the cable in trunking then why would you not be able to hide behind skirting boards? And why does rebated skirting board exist if you cant put cables in it?

You could, if the sockets or electrical items were installed also in this skirting board.

cables are not hidden in trunking. trunking is visible and it's obvious use is to carry cables. shirting board is not. how would a new owner, several years down the line, expect cables behind skirting.

It's too late to put sockets in the skirting, they are already in the wall and the walls have all been plastered
[automerge]1567688625[/automerge]
cables are not hidden in trunking. trunking is visible and it's obvious use is to carry cables. shirting board is not. how would a new owner, several years down the line, expect cables behind skirting.

How would future owners know there were cables in the wall, they would also be hidden?

It's too late to put sockets in the skirting, they are already in the wall and the walls have all been plastered

How would future owners know there were cables in the wall, they would also be hidden?
but they are ( or should be) within prescribed zones., where you'd expect them to be. however, plumbers, joiners, and builders have an uncanny knack of finding them with nails or drills, even though the zones are freely available in the internet for anyone who can read. see here. the blue areas are "safe" zones.:

High and Low Voltage Wiring 1567689502352 - EletriciansForums.net

You need to Google cable zones.

Reply to High and Low Voltage Wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock