Currently reading:
high readings (maybe)

Discuss high readings (maybe) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

biglee1975

hi all

just to let you know im still training as a spark after the last course i did turned out to be a piece of s**t with not much practical and today i was on a job with my uncle whos my mentor and we got a zs reading from a number of sockets of 106 ohms and when i questioned it i was told to google it by my uncle cause he seems to think i would learn better i just want to know is this acceptable for a tns supply from what i read in the regs book its not. any help would be glady helpful.

thank you

The maximum Zs allowed for a standard ring circuit with a B32 MCB is 1.44 ohms, 230/(5x32).

Are you sure it wasn't 1.06 ohms?

As geoffsd said 106Ω as a Zs reading for a circuit protected only by a B32 is not acceptable and the value is so high that there is a serious lack of earthing for that circuit (though it could be a line conductor failure).

It might be possible that the TNS earthing has failed, you can check this by measuring the Ze, if this is high then you need to resolve that situation, if the Ze is less than 0.8Ω then the problem is in the circuit.

If it were a TT system then that Zs may be acceptable (not good but acceptable) but the circuit would have to have been protected by an RCD.

For the TNS system if there were RCD protection (as there should be for socket circuits) then nominally the Zs would be compliant with the regulations, but this would be bad practice as any basic circuit design should be able to get a Zs lower than the maximum 1.44Ω.

spoken to dno about it will let you know the findings

Why have you spoken to Dno, have you got an high ZE at the mains, or is it just the socket circuit.
If it is the latter you may get charged by Dno if it is not their side at fault.

hi all

just to let you know im still training as a spark after the last course i did turned out to be a piece of s**t with not much practical and today i was on a job with my uncle whos my mentor and we got a zs reading from a number of sockets of 106 ohms and when i questioned it i was told to google it by my uncle cause he seems to think i would learn better i just want to know is this acceptable for a tns supply from what i read in the regs book its not. any help would be glady helpful.

thank you

What was the scope of work you were doing?

Whe you got the high Zs did you check the Ze?

Reply to high readings (maybe) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock