Discuss Cottage supplied by 16mm SWA 300+ yards! Trying to resolve a high Ze reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, while carrying out an EICR at a farm cottage on Friday i came up against a problem early on. Whilst measuring the Ze the reading i obtained was 0.97 Ohms and 27Amps Pfc.
Now the earthing system itself is quite strange. Next to the consumer unit is an old service head holding a 60A BS 88 fuse. Terminated into this is a 16mm split concentric. The live is connected into the service head and the neutrals go into a henley block. This block is where the 16mm earth going into the consumer unit is connected. The earths of the split concentric are cut off where cable is stripped for termination into the service head.
Things now get interesting.
Outside there is a meter box that the split concentric goes back to. This meter box is supplied by a 16mm 3 core SWA that travels 300+ yards underground from a new box on the edge of a field that was fitted by the SSE last year when new overheads were run to the farm.
This 16mm SWA supplies TWO! cottages. The brown core is the Live for the cottage i was in, the Black is the Live for a cottage next door and the Grey is the Neutral. The sheath of the SWA is the earth. The cores of the SWA go into blocks where they are split and each is then terminated into a switched fused isolator serving the split concentric feed to each cottage. The earths that were cut off at the service head inside the cottage - at this end are connected to the earthing terminal of the switch fuse isolator.
The readings in the cottage for the EICR were generally all ok and under the max Zs value however one ring circuit was measuring at 1.55 ohms. I imagine i could change the RCBO serving this circuit from a 32A to a 20A.
Does anyone know of what should be done here regarding the Ze exceeding the max value? Somewhat in disbelief that two cottages are supplied such a distance with a cable so small!
ThanksIMG_2992.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You can consult the supplier but as to what you can do about it, very little. I assume this is a TN-S supply where the suggested Ze should not exceed 0.80 but this is not an absolute requirement.

Did you take a line to neutral loop reading?
The earth clamp isn't ideal they shouldn't be used on cables unless there is something to stop it crushing the cable.

Hi, while carrying out an EICR at a farm cottage on Friday i came up against a problem early on. Whilst measuring the Ze the reading i obtained was 0.97 Ohms and 27Amps Pfc.
Now the earthing system itself is quite strange. Next to the consumer unit is an old service head holding a 60A BS 88 fuse. Terminated into this is a 16mm split concentric. The live is connected into the service head and the neutrals go into a henley block. This block is where the 16mm earth going into the consumer unit is connected. The earths of the split concentric are cut off where cable is stripped for termination into the service head.
Things now get interesting.
Outside there is a meter box that the split concentric goes back to. This meter box is supplied by a 16mm 3 core SWA that travels 300+ yards underground from a new box on the edge of a field that was fitted by the SSE last year when new overheads were run to the farm.
This 16mm SWA supplies TWO! cottages. The brown core is the Live for the cottage i was in, the Black is the Live for a cottage next door and the Grey is the Neutral. The sheath of the SWA is the earth. The cores of the SWA go into blocks where they are split and each is then terminated into a switched fused isolator serving the split concentric feed to each cottage. The earths that were cut off at the service head inside the cottage - at this end are connected to the earthing terminal of the switch fuse isolator.
The readings in the cottage for the EICR were generally all ok and under the max Zs value however one ring circuit was measuring at 1.55 ohms. I imagine i could change the RCBO serving this circuit from a 32A to a 20A.
Does anyone know of what should be done here regarding the Ze exceeding the max value? Somewhat in disbelief that two cottages are supplied such a distance with a cable so small!
Thanks
The maximum permitted Zs for any final circuit with a 30ma 61009 or 61008 device at its origin is 1667 ohms, so the Zs on your ring circuit is satisfactory on a 32a rcbo.

Did you take a line to neutral loop reading?
The earth clamp isn't ideal they shouldn't be used on cables unless there is something to stop it crushing the cable.
Hi, yes i believe my reading was the same between line and neutral. Yeah it would have been better if whoever installed this had brought it into an enclosure and used an earthing nut or something else more appropriate.

You can consult the supplier but as to what you can do about it, very little. I assume this is a TN-S supply where the suggested Ze should not exceed 0.80 but this is not an absolute requirement.
I should correct myself, it is a 32A mcb with an 80A type A rcd fitted at the c/u. Also the box in the field where the 16mm SWA originates appears to show the system as TNCS as SSE have the earth coming out of their service head.

The maximum permitted Zs for any final circuit with a 30ma 61009 or 61008 device at its origin is 1667 ohms, so the Zs on your ring circuit is satisfactory on a 32a rcbo.
Hi, isn't the 1667 ohms reading only for Type S RCD's? in page 70 of the regs i see that value in a table. regarding S type?

I should correct myself, it is a 32A mcb with an 80A type A rcd fitted at the c/u. Also the box in the field where the 16mm SWA originates appears to show the system as TNCS as SSE have the earth coming out of their service head.
Fault protection is still provided by the RCD.
If it is TN-C-S then the armour of that cable is inadequate to support main protective bonding.

Fault protection is still provided by the RCD.
If it is TN-C-S then the armour of that cable is inadequate to support main protective bonding.
Perhaps i should suggest to the farmer an earth spike should be installed at the meter box beside the two cottages in order to provide an adequate earthing arrangement?
This is where the SWA terminates into the box 300 yards away. Don't you think that the cable size is massively underrated for the distance?Mains supply box in field.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It is certainly undersized by some way but they are not necessarily working to the requirements like us. I would question it and see their response.

It is certainly undersized by some way but they are not necessarily working to the requirements like us. I would question it and see their response.
This cable was not run by the electricity supplier. It was run by a previous electrician who did work on the farm and this cable was reconnected into the new mains box when the supplier brought in new overheads. So unfortunately it isn't them who are to blame, but some old retired spark somewhere around here! 😑

Got you. That cable is certainly undersized with regard to volt drop which isn't necessarily a concern with an EICR unless it is giving issues but the armour is, personally I Code 2 these instances as it is inadequate to support main protective bonding.

Agree with westwood That SWA need terminating correctly. I would give a code 2 for that. I would also code 2 those exposed single insulated cores of the SWA . To fix the HI zs though you would have to down rate the main fuses, fit a main upfront 300ma RCD at the DNOs supply box Or run in a new cable.

Reply to Cottage supplied by 16mm SWA 300+ yards! Trying to resolve a high Ze reading in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net