Discuss HMRC ETSP Tax campaign for Electricians runs out 15th May 2012 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BlueToBits

I have just noticed on the HMRC website that they are currently running a tax campaign for Electricians who have not declared themselves to HMRC.
they call it the Electricians' Tax Safe Plan
I suppose it's only of interest to those who working 'strictly cash in hand' and would like to go legit, but have left it too long and now owe too much to be able to do so.
HM Revenue & Customs: Electricians' Tax Safe Plan campaign
The scheme seems to offer capped limits and easier back payment terms, but the opportunity to register ends on the 15th May.

They operated a similar scheme for plumbers last year where 430 plumbers registered and paid a total of £4m in tax. They then go on to say:
"Information from a variety of sources that was gathered during the PTSP campaign has led to nearly a thousand civil investigation cases being opened..."
"To date, ten plumbers with no record of having paid tax on their earnings have been arrested..."

So this could either be a scare tactic or they are about to target electricians in the same way for unpaid tax.

Unfotunately the tax people have excellent radar for detecting small operators who aviod their tax. It is only lack of manpower that so many poeple get away with it.

Those lovely tax people seem to be every where aaaaarg.

Its no worth the hassle I am lucky 99% pay me via bank transfer and the odd cash job i get i bank as there is always an audit trail and that where the plumbers who got arrested got caught for example saying you have earned £20k but are spending £40k just does not add up also in these hard economic times there is more chance of the guy next door reporting you why ? well he may have been refused his disability or housing benefit so watching you as he looks at it living high on the hog. Mind if HMRC wants to catch plumbers and electricians all they have to do is have a couple of reps with badges stand outside Screwflux or any wholesaler for a week or even on a Saturday morning they could also enquire to the wholesaler what is the tranactions in peoples accounts.

I have declared myself to HMRC but received a letter headed Electrical Tax Safe Plan

They went onto say that after lauching the ETSP it was aimed at people in my industry who had not paid enough tax and want to put things right before a certain date.

It goes on to say that they will gain their information from a large number of sources including.

Online Press and advertising
Trade directories
Industry bodies
Part P certificates
Trade suppliers

I prefer to be paid by cheque or BACS as cash cost me more to bank and 99.9 % of my work has a paper trail which is what they are now following up as Oldtimer has mentioned above.

And I was thinking Part P was for other reasons !

I wonder how much this will generate and then its kitchen fitters tilers plasterers jobing builders etc etc etc !

Last edited:
I tried to tell a customer that it cost me more to bank cash and could he not pay me by BACS as he had internet banking and he said no so I had to park the car stand in the bank and pay it in costing me a £1 yet if he did it by bacs 40p. he looked at me like I was a fool but I told him it was not worth it can still see the amazement on his face but you dont buy £55 of the equipment on account and then pocket £120 there is your audit trail

First pipe monkeys then us, next it'll be the wood butchers then the brickys and one by one they'll go after all the trades.
Funny how taxi drivers seem to get away with not declaring what they pull, or how Vince Cable can "Forget" about a couple of hundred thousand he "earned" or how civil servants pulling more than David Cameron can get paid through loopholes and avoid huge bills.
However, us someone who may be perfectly legal and above board are being accused of being on the make.
Makes me want to vomit.

I would never try and avoid paying tax too much of a risky game...know of an old boss of mine who was the nicest guy ever. He tried it and they came down on him hard - crippled him financially. Its really not worth it and anyone here who can sort it out I would strongly recommend that you do.

Reply to HMRC ETSP Tax campaign for Electricians runs out 15th May 2012 in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net