Discuss The REAL reason for part p in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
In case you may not have heard of this up and coming clampdown,here is the underhand and sole reason for the introduction of my favourite skinning club,yes you got it, part nonsense

We have just been advised by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) that under a special time-limited tax disclosure opportunity, called the ‘Electricians Tax Safe Plan’, electricians can pay any tax they owe and receive far lower penalties than if they failed to come forward at all and HMRC eventually catches up with them.

have held discussions with HMRC and pointed out that members on our register are far more likely to be up to date with their tax affairs, rather than electricians who have not joined the Part P register or association and we have strongly suggested that they start their campaign in that sector of our industry rather than with registered members.

Their campaign is aimed at anyone who installs and/or maintains and/or tests electrical systems, equipment and appliances and covers any unpaid tax - whether made by an error (despite taking reasonable care), or whether you were careless, or whether it was something that was done deliberately!

The Electricians Tax Safe Plan is the second part of a campaign aimed at trades people. The first part was aimed at the plumbers and the heating engineers This proved to be successful for HMRC with nearly 600 people coming forward under the plumbers’ campaign to “notify” HMRC of their intention to declare unpaid tax, offering over £4m in unpaid tax. HMRC tell us that so far about £2.4m has been paid.

To join the plan, people in the electrical industry must:

•”Notify” HMRC by 15 May 2012 that they plan to make a voluntary tax disclosure
•They then have until 14 August 2012 to tell HMRC about tax due and make arrangements to pay any tax interest and penalties owed. This is called “making a disclosure”.

I underlined a few of the comments which shows who are the targets,not the pub or unregistered or cowboy,its the try and do it right guys

Now all those notifications that have been made by registered sparks, the insurances,scheme costs, reference books,
which all costs time and money, incidentally not burdened on the non registered cowboys and man in pub.will finally be of use

They and part p have been a costly and utter waste of time till now
That changes, because the existence of the nonsense will now pay dividends,not to sparks, but to the primary beneficiaries of its existence,H M REVENUE and CUSTOMS

There we have it,once again in this society, those that try to do things above board being screwed in favour of the rougesw and 2 fingered brigade

So the Government are cracking down on no cash payments for scrap, maybe they should insist on the same for "trade" counters too.

None of us are saints but there are a number of visitors to my main supplier and they use cash for everything - which makes me wonder if they declare any income at all.

When they first introduced part p""s and knew this was the real reason for it even then !
Just surprised it has taken so long for the snake bellied bar"""ds to show their true colours. :censored::censored::censored:
I/we to my disgust have always paid all of the normally unjustly high taxes that have been demanded .
It makes me wish that we had avoided them , as we are being treated like criminals anyway !

Interestingly i was cold called last Friday by a surveying company that had been contracted by HMRC to ask questions on how electrical contracting companies thought about paying or not paying their tax liability .

TRADE Counters should be exactly that TRADE how many times do you see DIY bob in ross ect piking up stuff "For his electrician"
as for the TAX side its BIG BROTHER

Think it was so obvious when Part P came out that it was going to be a paper trail that could be followed. They don't even have to leave their office to check what registered work you have carried out over a said period.
I try not to have too many of my yacht's on the drive as its a giveaway.

A plumber mate of mine got "done over" by HMRC a couple of years ago - and their reason to inspect him was his drastic drop in turn over in 2008/2009!!

He's not too good at record keeping and they had him jumping through hoops for days. He keeps his books in better order these days.

I'm not too concerned about HMRC as I pay an accountant to look at my books and submit my accounts & tax return.

That said they must suspect that loads of cash dealing is going on there's no surprise that HMRC are getting interested in it - BUT quite how they think they are going to clamp down on it is anyones guess as its pretty much every trade!!!!!!!!!!

Des I did a calculation on your figures of 4,000,000 with 600 and it came to £6,666.00p per head or company now thats the tax roughly £24,000 gross so yep me thinks they are after some of the big boys or even dare I say the guys running a business on there days off or in their spare time as I have said before this is a fishing exercise plus no doubt HMRC will do a Google and read these discussions and as I have always said I do my books every day yes every day a none of this dumping a bag of receipts on the floor 2 weeks before you are meant to put your accounts in and yes I have no doubt they will come a calling on some people and and as long as you are keeping good records then they are happy plus if you have made a mistake and I would say a small one I have no doubt they will put you right the thing is if you comply then there is not a problem but they do have a load on their hands trying to track down the part timers plus the cash in hand brigade as well plus they could get smarter and go to Screwflux or any wholesaler and get a copy of their account holders then compare them to their tax records and whoever does not show up as a registered for tax purposes then they need to pull them in and I dont think well I put a fuseboard in for all my family and friends will wash.

PS I have not mentioned Part Pi$h because I live in a civilised country where it does not exist

A plumber mate of mine got "done over" by HMRC a couple of years ago - and their reason to inspect him was his drastic drop in turn over in 2008/2009!!

He's not too good at record keeping and they had him jumping through hoops for days. He keeps his books in better order these days.

I'm not too concerned about HMRC as I pay an accountant to look at my books and submit my accounts & tax return.

We are members of the federation of small businesses , if i am not mistaken all members get free insurance cover and advise in case of a visit from the tax inspector , i think their membership is actually less than the going rate for the insurance for this on the open market so it is a bit of a win / win situation ! I may be wrong on that though ?

We have gone even further when it comes to using a accountant , the firm we use looks after the day to day tax implications and pay of our men as well , they even take all of our paper work each month and archive it for us .
I know this is not cheap but when that dreaded inspection finally does come , if the required information is not there , then they will have some serious explaining to do !

That said they must suspect that loads of cash dealing is going on there's no surprise that HMRC are getting interested in it - BUT quite how they think they are going to clamp down on it is anyones guess as its pretty much every trade!!!!!!!!!!

Remember HMRC will get more tax by doing nothing So how come ? Well years ago ie 10-15 the HMRC went on Manchester local radio to publicise that they would be clamping down on taxi drivers the following week so on Monday morning there was hundreds of people trying to sign off at the unemployment office to say that they just got a job driving a taxi so this is nothing new.

Also for your friend who was not very good at record keeping this is no excuse as the tax authorities see it they take a dim view of this as they say if you can run and organise a business then you are legally obliged to keep records and lets face it today in this computer world it is a hundred times easier to keep your records with dedicated software to aid you. So does that mean you trust the pc well not exactly I am old enough to remember when they were not that great so I alway back up my accounts every 2 weeks and I dont say this to be smug I say to say if you are focused to run your own business then keeping your books up to date is the next logical step.

If I had a pound for every guy in a pub that moans about getting a big tax bill because basically they could not be bothered with the paper side of the business then my tax rate would be at the 50% level

Last edited by a moderator:
When doing my NAPIT assessment in London the inspector mentioned the notification process also being about the HMRC and them knowing who is doing what amount of work. Thought at the time might be better off not bothering with it - sod all the exams, books, insurance, scheme, paper trail!

Reply to The REAL reason for part p in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net