Discuss UK Homeowner - advice on my electrician's status, with regards to Part P regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Martin67

DIY
Reaction score
We have had a rear extension built on our home, and our builder arranged the electrician for the electric work required.

I have established that the Electrician and his helper (apprentice/junior) are from a country to the east of Europe and are not currently registered as UK electricians and do not hold any NICEIC qualifications under Part P to meet BS 7671.

The Electrician is a director of a limited company that is registered with NICEIC, and has a fellow director (lets call him Person B) that does have NICEIC qualifications under Part P.

The Electrician plans to get Person B to sign off his work and issue the required certificate to our local authority. We are currently half was through the second fix of the electrics. At no stage has Person B been on site - so no inspection of first fix at all.

Does this conform to regulations? My feeling is that if the Electrician is not qualified under Part P in the UK, Person B should have inspected work during the install (first fix) and not only the final testing etc?

What is my position as Homeowner? Should I report this situation to the Local Authority or any body? Is my builder acting unlawfully here?

Many Thanks

Good to see a homeowner who has done his research.

How do you know the guy doing the work has no quals ? Did you just ask him?

Good to see a homeowner who has done his research.

How do you know the guy doing the work has no quals ? Did you just ask him?

He told me he did not have UK qualifications, did have in his country, and that he would get his fellow director of his company to test and certify.

I then looked up the UK Part P regulations - and believe that this would be ok if his fellow director (qualified electrician in UK) had inspected his first fix work. What do you think? What should i do now (second fix being progressed now)...
[automerge]1583494949[/automerge]
He told me he did not have UK qualifications, did have in his country, and that he would get his fellow director of his company to test and certify.

I then looked up the UK Part P regulations - and believe that this would be ok if his fellow director (qualified electrician in UK) had inspected his first fix work. What do you think? What should i do now (second fix being progressed now)...
He did show me a NICEIC for his limited company - but of course it does not mention his name (or anyone's for that matter).
[automerge]1583495063[/automerge]

[automerge]1583494949[/automerge]

He did show me a NICEIC for his limited company - but of course it does not mention his name (or anyone's for that matter).
NICEIC certificate for the limited company he is a director of...

The company doing the work is registered with the NICEIC therefore the company doing the work can notify the work for the purpose of part P.

NICEIC registration applies to the company and not the individual, the company will have one person (or more in big companies) who is the qualified supervisor for the registration.
The qualified supervisor will review the job on completion and countersign the certificates once the electrician who did the job has completed the certificates.
[automerge]1583498436[/automerge]
I think you may be getting confused with third party sign off, this would be where one contactor does the work and a seperate contractor does the signing off. This is different to two electricians working for the same company.

Last edited:
The company doing the work is registered with the NICEIC therefore the company doing the work can notify the work for the purpose of part P.

NICEIC registration applies to the company and not the individual, the company will have one person (or more in big companies) who is the qualified supervisor for the registration.
The qualified supervisor will review the job on completion and countersign the certificates once the electrician who did the job has completed the certificates.
[automerge]1583498436[/automerge]
I think you may be getting confused with third party sign off, this would be where one contactor does the work and a seperate contractor does the signing off. This is different to two electricians working for the same company.

See this article:

Part P Electrical Regulations Explained: How to Ensure Compliance - Electrical Times - https://www.electricaltimes.co.uk/part-p-electrical-regulations-explained-how-to-ensure-compliance/

specifically paragraph:"Non-registered electrical workers can be employed. But, only if they’ve appointed a registered third-party certifier to inspect and test the work. Inspections need to be carried out both during and after it’s done."

for my first fix I believe my electrician is non registered, and his associate in company who is did not inspect first fix (before wiring hidden by ceilings/floors etc.). Please comment...

if the installer is working under the supervision of the company, it's up to the company to decide on how much supervision he needs. depending on his level of experience and competence, he may need work checking at every stage, or his employers may trust his work without being in his face. end of the day, the job will be signed off by the niceic company, and if any future problems arise, it's their problem to correct if required.

As above, if the sh*t hits the fan the first person they go looking for is the one who signed the paperwork,, person B.
Person A would cop for it after.

Makes no difference if the compnay has folded, it's the signatory they'll go after.

Person B must be confident in Person A's work.

"Non-registered electrical workers can be employed.

Employed refers to the Customer employing the services of a Registered or non registered person not a Limited company of which he, person A is an employee.

Last edited:
See this article:

Part P Electrical Regulations Explained: How to Ensure Compliance - Electrical Times - https://www.electricaltimes.co.uk/part-p-electrical-regulations-explained-how-to-ensure-compliance/

specifically paragraph:"Non-registered electrical workers can be employed. But, only if they’ve appointed a registered third-party certifier to inspect and test the work. Inspections need to be carried out both during and after it’s done."

for my first fix I believe my electrician is non registered, and his associate in company who is did not inspect first fix (before wiring hidden by ceilings/floors etc.). Please comment...

That article is incorrect, it is non-registered contractors who need a third party sign off, not non-registered individuals.
A contractor can be a company or an individual.

The contractor needs to be registered, anyone employed by the contractor is covered by the contractors registration and it is up to the qualified supervisor of that company to decide how much or how little they need to inspect.

After I qualified I became qualified supervisor for the company I was working for, this meant I was then signing off the work of the electrician who had taught me the trade, so I was quite happy to sign off his jobs without ever having seen them.

Reply to UK Homeowner - advice on my electrician's status, with regards to Part P regulations in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net