Discuss Retraining to become a self employed Electrician - HELP REQUIRED PLEASE in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum so please excuse any stupid questions which may come below. Sorry if this is long winded but I want to give a good overview of my situation to ensure I get the best advice.

I have very basic electrical knowledge and experience but I enjoy and get satisfaction from doing hands on DIY electrical work. I can change light switches, plug sockets etc - Generally very hands on and have a basic understanding of the science behind electrical work.

I'm only 24 and want to change my professional career to become a self employed Electrician. The problem is that i'm currently working in an a complete different industry (office work). I really do not enjoy it but it pays for my mortgage and other bills. I ultimately want to work for myself as an electrician (maybe start working in evenings and weekends and eventually take it on full time)

I've researched quite a bit and it seems I have some options available to get qualified but i'm keen to get some advice to see which is best suited to my situation

1) There is a fast track (20day) 'domestic' electrician course near me which i've heard mixed reviews about - I understand that this not qualify my as a fully fledged 'electrician' but could I complete this and join a Part-P Scheme so I can start getting some small jobs & experience locally? Could I then potentially use training providers to get fully qualified over time? FYI this course offers Part P Course City & Guilds 2393,18th Edition Wiring Regulations 2018 City & Guilds 2382, Inspection and Testing City & Guilds 2392.

2) There is also a 16 month college evening course which will give me a Level 2 EAL qualification - this seems like a more legitimate qualification to have and would go on to do Level 3 afterwards but does this mean I won't be able to get hands on experience until fully completed?

3) There is a training provider that offer full C&G Level 2/3 course which goes on for about 4 months - This is not really viable as it would require me to leave my job to attend and have no source of income for a fairly long period of time. This also applies to the traditional apprenticeship route.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Before don't this on your own you need to spend a few years working with an experienced electrician to learn the practical skills you need.

The college courses will only teach you the theory, they don't, and can't, teach the real world practical side of the job.

For example:
The practical side of the college courses will see you fixing everything to wooden boards or walls. In the real world you will be fixing to all manner of masonry, plasterboard, concrete, lathe and plaster, all of varying condition and strength.
College will teach you to find faults in a small installation in which you can reach every part without taking a step, and of course there will only be one clearly defined fault at a time. In the real world you will be finding faults in circuits which serve multiple rooms, there may be more than one fault which does not follow any clearly defined type problem etc etc.

Hi bud,apart from the tiny font ;) you must have some sand,to have a mortgage at 24,so fair play to you.

The next bit will sound brutal,but if you are needing to remain in full time employment,this will greatly extend,the period of time obligatory,in obtaining the necessary theoretical,and practical experience. There is no way around this,as you still have to eat,sleep and continue with other unavoidable duties.

We have posts regarding a change of career,fairly regularly,and you will get a range of advice,some you can smile at,and some which will sound harsh.

With determination,perseverance and graft,you will achieve your goal,and i would will you to succeed. Just please do not succumb in desperation,to some of the promises you will hear,from certain training providers.

Another angle, to approach your plan,would be to know just what time scale,you anticipate being ready to transfer jobs. Not "ASAP",but an actual,thought out date.

Don't be in a rush to leave that office... i was under some item of plant,earlier,taking readings,with equine urine dripping on me head... i'd have rather been on the swivel chair next to you :)

HJ_180, I'm like you on the respect they I'm in an office job and looking to retrain but have the "luxury" if not having a mortgage bit as a trade-off I've got 3 kids under 3, a disability and am the wrong side of 30, so swings and roundabouts.

I've gone down the college route myself, I figure give myself 7 years by that time I aim to have all my qualifications (L2, L3, I&T, PAT AM2 etc) and have some RW experience either with a company or via subbing to others, this also gives me room for an RL issues that might crop up.

It's not going to be a quick journey for me but I'm prepared for that

As you've got your own home you do, in some respects have a canvas to play with as like others have said; college doesn't throw curveballs but a house will so start small and work around.

Good luck

I'm in a similar situation (but I'm older - 47) and only a few months ahead of you. You'll find good advice from others here who have more experience and knowledge than I.

As @davesparks says getting work in the industry is essential.

I've been lucky enought to find full time work as a an 'electrician's labourer / mate' while I'm studying nights at college (2365 L2). I'm lucky enough to have almost a a full set of tools and a van (i've been responsible for looking after buildings for a number of years) and, like you, I have some basic electrical skills.

There are others on my course who are struggling to find work in the trade and some like me who seem to have landed work quite easily. The main distinguishing feature between these two groups; tools and wheels.

If you want paid work you need some tools. I know my boss would be happy to lend me a few items which I might only need once in a blue moon but it's not realistic to expect him to supply me with the everyday items. My policy from the start has been to buy tools rather than borrow them. If I need a cordless SDS to chase walls in a new build without power then I'll take a deep breath and buy it. I know that it won't be the last time that I'll need it, so why wait? I'm pretty sure that when I started work it was my array of tools that appealed to my boss rather than my inability to use them!

I'm lucky enought to have started out with a good set of tools and I have the means to keep adding to my kit. I know that this may not be possible for everyone. My tool bag that I bring to every job has a new for old replacement vlaue of £1100 (including my combi drill but excluding 18v tools which I keep in the van) but I would imagine that you could get a decent starter set for £500.

Other than that, I think you're thinking along the right lines. I've enjoyed every minute of my work so far and I can't wait to progress. Good luck.

I agree with the points already made, and you will need thousands to set you up (van, tools, test gear, advertising, part pee membership etc etc). Changing a light switch or socket is what most people can do just like changing a plug, so that's not going to give you much of a head start.

I only do domestic work, and yesterday I spent the best part of the day under a staircase I could barely fit in, and my neck and back are suffering today (admittedly I'm not as young as you.

People like me will complain how the world has changed as a spark because we are old and grumpy, but the reality it is, it really has changed to the point that my area is now saturated with domestic sparks, and I don't get anywhere near the amount of calls I used to, and I'm also winning far less quotes because there is no shortage of sparks doing cheap but often poor quality work, but the customer is happy because everything works fine. If I charged the same price as some of the cheap sparks I would be better off getting a job in Aldi.

Whether it's my old age saying this, but I'm convinced customers have become far more demanding than ever and even expecting free services (can you check my lights they keep tripping).

I am giving up my part pee registration either this year or next, and I will continue to do the little jobs that doesn't need certification.

It's not my intention to put you off, but to be honest as to my experience. I guess there is also some luck involved because I'm sure not all areas are as saturated with sparks as mine now is.

Good luck.

Hi - as mentioned above, you need to get some practical experience above all else, so perhaps start contacting local Electricians for placement?

Before don't this on your own you need to spend a few years working with an experienced electrician to learn the practical skills you need.

The college courses will only teach you the theory, they don't, and can't, teach the real world practical side of the job.

For example:
The practical side of the college courses will see you fixing everything to wooden boards or walls. In the real world you will be fixing to all manner of masonry, plasterboard, concrete, lathe and plaster, all of varying condition and strength.
College will teach you to find faults in a small installation in which you can reach every part without taking a step, and of course there will only be one clearly defined fault at a time. In the real world you will be finding faults in circuits which serve multiple rooms, there may be more than one fault which does not follow any clearly defined type problem etc etc.

Cheers Dave. Understood. So possibly try and find work as a mate whilst I complete the academic qualifications required.
Hi bud,apart from the tiny font ;) you must have some sand,to have a mortgage at 24,so fair play to you.

The next bit will sound brutal,but if you are needing to remain in full time employment,this will greatly extend,the period of time obligatory,in obtaining the necessary theoretical,and practical experience. There is no way around this,as you still have to eat,sleep and continue with other unavoidable duties.

We have posts regarding a change of career,fairly regularly,and you will get a range of advice,some you can smile at,and some which will sound harsh.

With determination,perseverance and graft,you will achieve your goal,and i would will you to succeed. Just please do not succumb in desperation,to some of the promises you will hear,from certain training providers.

Another angle, to approach your plan,would be to know just what time scale,you anticipate being ready to transfer jobs. Not "ASAP",but an actual,thought out date.

Don't be in a rush to leave that office... i was under some item of plant,earlier,taking readings,with equine urine dripping on me head... i'd have rather been on the swivel chair next to you :)

Thanks for the reply mate that’s really helpful and to be honest
HJ_180, I'm like you on the respect they I'm in an office job and looking to retrain but have the "luxury" if not having a mortgage bit as a trade-off I've got 3 kids under 3, a disability and am the wrong side of 30, so swings and roundabouts.

I've gone down the college route myself, I figure give myself 7 years by that time I aim to have all my qualifications (L2, L3, I&T, PAT AM2 etc) and have some RW experience either with a company or via subbing to others, this also gives me room for an RL issues that might crop up.

It's not going to be a quick journey for me but I'm prepared for that

As you've got your own home you do, in some respects have a canvas to play with as like others have said; college doesn't throw curveballs but a house will so start small and work around.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply mate, very helpful. I want to do it properly, the college course will likely be the route I take. Going to reach out to a few sparks in my area to see if I can work for free on some weekends/evenings to get the RW experience (as well as practicing in my own house)

Cheers for the reply and yeah the font was bit small ? still getting to grips with forums as this is the first one I’ve used ha.

I’ve thought about this over the last year or so and finally decided to start making some steps, I realise the grass is not always greener on the other side and every job comes with bug bares..(urine on head in this case?) but genuinely much happier doing hands on work then sat in the office all day.

Seems from the replies I have so far that the college course is the best way going forward and trying to get experience with a local spark (whether that’s for free in my spare time or biting the bullet and getting work as a mate for a couple of years)

Thanks again,
Jack

I'm in a similar situation (but I'm older - 47) and only a few months ahead of you. You'll find good advice from others here who have more experience and knowledge than I.

As @davesparks says getting work in the industry is essential.

I've been lucky enought to find full time work as a an 'electrician's labourer / mate' while I'm studying nights at college (2365 L2). I'm lucky enough to have almost a a full set of tools and a van (i've been responsible for looking after buildings for a number of years) and, like you, I have some basic electrical skills.

There are others on my course who are struggling to find work in the trade and some like me who seem to have landed work quite easily. The main distinguishing feature between these two groups; tools and wheels.

If you want paid work you need some tools. I know my boss would be happy to lend me a few items which I might only need once in a blue moon but it's not realistic to expect him to supply me with the everyday items. My policy from the start has been to buy tools rather than borrow them. If I need a cordless SDS to chase walls in a new build without power then I'll take a deep breath and buy it. I know that it won't be the last time that I'll need it, so why wait? I'm pretty sure that when I started work it was my array of tools that appealed to my boss rather than my inability to use them!

I'm lucky enought to have started out with a good set of tools and I have the means to keep adding to my kit. I know that this may not be possible for everyone. My tool bag that I bring to every job has a new for old replacement vlaue of £1100 (including my combi drill but excluding 18v tools which I keep in the van) but I would imagine that you could get a decent starter set for £500.

Other than that, I think you're thinking along the right lines. I've enjoyed every minute of my work so far and I can't wait to progress. Good luck.

Thanks for that mate. I’m going to see if I can get full time paid work as a mate whilst I train and build up skill set. Fortunately, I can afford to buy a few tools to get me started so I guess it’s just finding someone who will take a punt on someone who is probably less experienced. If not, I guess it will have to be working for free in my spare time (weekends, evenings)

Thanks and all the best with your journey too, hope I can make some positive steps and update you on my progress soon too! ??

Thanks for that mate. I’m going to see if I can get full time paid work as a mate whilst I train and build up skill set. Fortunately, I can afford to buy a few tools to get me started so I guess it’s just finding someone who will take a punt on someone who is probably less experienced. If not, I guess it will have to be working for free in my spare time (weekends, evenings)

Thanks and all the best with your journey too, hope I can make some positive steps and update you on my progress soon too! ??
Drop Dan/Lou a message and join the Trainees Section as you'll find a wealth of infop there.

If not, I guess it will have to be working for free in my spare time (weekends, evenings)
Good experience is invaluable and it's probably worth your while working for free for a while. I think if you're working for free you need to be sure you're getting paid in knowledge / experience. I'm sure some will be happy to let you carry tools and pull cables for nothing, but you'll not learn much that way.

If you're a) making an investment in tools, b) you have enough intelligence to learn the basics quickly, and c) you're diligent and thorough in your work you'll soon become a valuable asset to whoever you're working for and paid work will follow.

Good experience is invaluable and it's probably worth your while working for free for a while. I think if you're working for free you need to be sure you're getting paid in knowledge / experience. I'm sure some will be happy to let you carry tools and pull cables for nothing, but you'll not learn much that way.

If you're a) making an investment in tools, b) you have enough intelligence to learn the basics quickly, and c) you're diligent and thorough in your work you'll soon become a valuable asset to whoever you're working for and paid work will follow.

Completely agree, happy to work for free as long as I’m actually learning.

Can I ask what your plan is once you’ve done the L2? Will you go onto L3 and eventually do the NVQ also or is that not required in this particular route. Have you already done wiring regs or does that wait until the 2365 is complete.

Also my local college only does an EAL certificate rather than C&G do you think this would be a problem at all?

Cheers

Can I ask what your plan is once you’ve done the L2? Will you go onto L3 and eventually do the NVQ also or is that not required in this particular route. Have you already done wiring regs or does that wait until the 2365 is complete.

Also my local college only does an EAL certificate rather than C&G do you think this would be a problem at all?

Cheers
I think the whole C&G v EAL is a moot point, they cover (afaik) the same content, just a (I think) lesser known exam board. My continuation after L2 L3 is above as you've seen and I think most will be some additional course(s) after college, if for no other reason than to get 18th edition.

Cheers
TBH I need to sit down and work all of this out! But the plan at the moment I'm planning to go straight on to L3 after L2 and complete my NVQ3 along the way at work. Once that's all done I need to move on to AM2.

My L2 course is good but i do find it's pace frustrating. The practical side is all about getting the skills you need to go out and find work; basic wiring, dead testing, working with trunking / conduit, etc. But I'm finding that I'm picking up these skills at work more quickly than they are being introduced on the course. The theory side is relatively straightforward, lots of H&S, some basic mathematics and some electrical theory. We haven't done much in terms of wiring regs yet and I think that will mostly wait for L3.

L3 is more about regs and installation design as far as I understand it. I think L3 is a significant step up from L2 which makes me wonder if I need to set aside some study time in addition to my work and family committments.

I can't comment on EAL vs C&G I'm afraid as my knowledge here is even more scant than my electrical knowledge!

@diced carrots yes the L3 is defiantly a step up from the level 2 I think we worked it out the other week its around 10 exams in the level 3 which include practical's, couple of written exams & the usual multiple choice its non stop.

They will throw some regs in but it will mainly science and inspection and testing, much of the cable calculations etc you learned on the level 2

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum so please excuse any stupid questions which may come below. Sorry if this is long winded but I want to give a good overview of my situation to ensure I get the best advice.

I have very basic electrical knowledge and experience but I enjoy and get satisfaction from doing hands on DIY electrical work. I can change light switches, plug sockets etc - Generally very hands on and have a basic understanding of the science behind electrical work.

I'm only 24 and want to change my professional career to become a self employed Electrician. The problem is that i'm currently working in an a complete different industry (office work). I really do not enjoy it but it pays for my mortgage and other bills. I ultimately want to work for myself as an electrician (maybe start working in evenings and weekends and eventually take it on full time)

I've researched quite a bit and it seems I have some options available to get qualified but i'm keen to get some advice to see which is best suited to my situation

1) There is a fast track (20day) 'domestic' electrician course near me which i've heard mixed reviews about - I understand that this not qualify my as a fully fledged 'electrician' but could I complete this and join a Part-P Scheme so I can start getting some small jobs & experience locally? Could I then potentially use training providers to get fully qualified over time? FYI this course offers Part P Course City & Guilds 2393,18th Edition Wiring Regulations 2018 City & Guilds 2382, Inspection and Testing City & Guilds 2392.

2) There is also a 16 month college evening course which will give me a Level 2 EAL qualification - this seems like a more legitimate qualification to have and would go on to do Level 3 afterwards but does this mean I won't be able to get hands on experience until fully completed?

3) There is a training provider that offer full C&G Level 2/3 course which goes on for about 4 months - This is not really viable as it would require me to leave my job to attend and have no source of income for a fairly long period of time. This also applies to the traditional apprenticeship route.

Just to comment on this bit. 20 days study might get you the exams passed but is a world apart from using the theory on real installations.
My understanding is that you won’t get into a part-p scheme on the strength of those qualifications. They used to require 2 years experience plus 18th edition, but things have changed now and they are wanting NVQ/EAL for new applications.

One approach to consider might be finding an electrician to shadow, see if you can change your job to 4 days a week and gain some practical experience as a mate for the other one, and take evening classes to build your qualifications.
All the best for your journey.

Hi Everyone,

Can I ask how you got on with it in the end?

Reply to Retraining to become a self employed Electrician - HELP REQUIRED PLEASE in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net