Discuss NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've been thinking of playing devils advocate and trying to come up with reasons why it may possibly be ok.... but I can't think of any.

It needs to have mechanical protection in order to comply with BS7671.

Chances are it may be fine under slabs and gravel, but that's not really the point. It's a bit like saying it'll probably be fine if you drive around without a seatbelt, probably will be, but you wouldn't do it for various reasons.

I feel uncomfortable judging about someone who I have never met, and only hearing one side of the story. We may be missing something. @OsramMyers I would ask for a copy of his complaints procedure which is mandatory to have for a registered electrician. I would then follow that procedure. As part of that process you could ask him to change the cable. If he again says it's ok to use you can then quote regulation 522.8.10 (from BS7671) which clearly shows it is not acceptable in its present state.

Yes. I read #8, and no reply from him since then, even though there was plenty input from the forum.

I’m hoping he is thinking about it, and will confront the spark ASAP.

I just don’t think we should assume he’s ignoring us just because he hasn’t replied from 7pm yesterday. You never know, he might have a life that doesn’t involve sitting on a forum all night.

All I’m saying is wait a few days. ?
Eh? ?

Update -

Thank you for all the replies. I have dropped an email just a moment ago to NAPIT via their website and will await their response.
When you hear back from them @OsramMyers , could you let us know their reply please? We like updates ?.

Update:

Spoke to NAPIT on the phone and the installation is fine. Because its 300mm deep and its a tough cable its OK. Bit shocked really.

I've asked the electrician to replace it all with SWA anyway as outlined in the quote.

Strange, NAPIT seem to be over cautious on certain other things.

Good that the sparky is going to come back to correct things though. Thanks for the update.

Update:

Spoke to NAPIT on the phone and the installation is fine. Because its 300mm deep and its a tough cable its OK. Bit shocked really.

I've asked the electrician to replace it all with SWA anyway as outlined in the quote.
Everything's OK then.....it's a 'tough cable'.

Basically, 'If being installed underground, a cable must be tough'. I like that statement from a UKAS scheme????

Update:

I wonder if you would do me a great favour mate.
Can you get them to send you that they are happy with the installation in writing.
It's funny how people like to say things on the phone but when you ask for written confirmation then things go silent..

Reply to NYY Buried Cable - Legit job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net