Discuss Anyone walked off a job before or fallen out with a builder? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Working on a full rewire at the moment that's been dragging on for some time now. I got the job through a builder I know and it's the second job I've done for him. He's turning out to be a complete -----.

He spends a lot of time telling other trades how to do their jobs and thinks he knows it all when obviously he knows ---- all about anything. I got a glimpse of it on the first job (tried to make me chase out a wall covered in asbestos) but this sounded like a good a job and I needed the money at the time. He speaks to me like he thinks I'm some sort of mug who's reliant on his money and owes him something and it's doing my head in. One of the reasons I work for myself is so I would never have to work for pricks like this again.

Anyone ever had something similar and walked off a job before?

I'm doing the first fix next week and if he does my head in I think I'm just going to walk off and leave it. The only thing is, the client has paid half of my fee up front so if i do walk off he's going to ask for some money back. So far I've ripped out all the existing cable, relocated and installed a new consumer unit with temporary power and bought all the first fix materials. Probably about 3-4 days of work so as far as I'm concerned that payment has covered me up until now and the last 2 payments will cover the first fix and second fix

not worth the aggro. if the builder and client fall out at all, you'll be the loser.

Builders can be a nightmare , I did a small extension for a builder just before the first covid lockdown and they refused to pay my last stage payment as the job hadn't gone well for them and they were trying to cut some losses.
I explained the issues weren't my fault and my price was a fair price and I did the job to a very good standard.
I think I ended up getting £150 of the remaining £450 balance on the job.
But as covid was kicking off I couldn't be bothered to fight them over it.

I am not a big fan of working for builders or other trades like plumbers who get you in to do wiring for them on new kitchens and bathrooms. They can be a real pain when it comes to getting paid...

I won't work directly for Builders now unless I know them really well and have done for years. They can be a royal pain in the arse, I worked for one similar to the situation the op describes. I finished that job and struggled to get paid the full amount so never worked for him again after that!
I would try and finish the job if you can stick it, just for the customers sake more than anything, especially if they have already made part payment!
After that I would work direct for the customer, so if they fall out with the builder you will still be ok and not tarred with the same brush and will pay you separately. Also stops the builder making money off you by overcharging for your labour!

I'm doing the first fix next week and if he does my head in I think I'm just going to walk off and leave it. The only thing is, the client has paid half of my fee up front so if i do walk off he's going to ask for some money back. So far I've ripped out all the existing cable, relocated and installed a new consumer unit with temporary power and bought all the first fix materials. Probably about 3-4 days of work so as far as I'm concerned that payment has covered me up until now and the last 2 payments will cover the first fix and second fix

He has not started it yet, anyway this will not end good.

Not only started, but accepted 50% payment. I'm fairly certain that the builder will have a very different view about what works that part payment covers. Walking away could result in all sorts of hassle that far outweigh biting one's lip for a couple of weeks.

Not only started, but accepted 50% payment. I'm fairly certain that the builder will have a very different view about what works that part payment covers. Walking away could result in all sorts of hassle that far outweigh biting one's lip for a couple of weeks.
I didnt see that , I would give the client back the money or put up and shut up.
Could he not speak to the client and work directly with them.

Last edited:
Carry on and get the job done. Keep your head down and if the builder steps out of line inform him firmly but professionally that your way of doing the task is the correct approach. After the job is complete do not take any anymore work for the guy and tell him you are simply too busy for his work. That way you are protecting your reputation with the client and other trades on site, you never know where your next big job will come from.
Good luck with it.

As above , I will no longer work for general builders

Some of the stunts they try to pull on sub contractors is crooked , like trying to re negotiate the price once 90% of the work is completed Or trying haggle money of your price after the job has finished

I have even had builders flat refuse to pay me a final payment or offer me a 'bit of cash' as final payment which is about half of what I am actually owed

Dodgy builders can do one as far as I am concerned

I now only work for 2 trusted builders. One is absolutely brilliant to work for, the other is pretty good, can be slow paying but never questions my prices and I don’t quote for anything other than the biggest jobs for either of them.

A lot of other builders have been told where to go over the years though. Most of them are a bit too greedy imo and often want money off or jobs at their properties done for nothing etc.

Never work for builders or scummy landlord types . The moment they start FN about , walk out . Tap into Charities if you want a easy life:) I have a friend who runs properties for a religious group . They seem to have tons of money to throw around !!

Just to add the other side of this coin. I used to run a property development company and we frequently employed sub contract electricians. Most were excellent and we had known them for years. Typically we converted large manor houses to flats or offices, often with some new builds on the site. Occupation would start as work progressed, so usually some people had moved in whilst other homes were finished. On a coupe of occasions I have discovered electricians doing work for new occupants (adding sockets or light fittings or alarms or CCTV) whilst on my site and without the courtesy to ask me and contrary to our contract. In some cases on day rates and in fact working for these others whilst billing me. This resulted in legal action in one case as my business partner is a solicitor and she regarded it as theft. Very rare that we had a problem though and only ever with people who had not worked for us before because it was a new area.

Reply to Anyone walked off a job before or fallen out with a builder? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net